Advice on corroded radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I had to replace a very old rad recently in the bathroom. The new one (a Kudox premium single 600 * 1100) has been in for just 2 years, and has some awful corrosion (see picture). I only noticed this as the paint started falling off - which implies this has been happening for a fair while, and is probably far more extensive than can be seen from the picture.

Kudox state that their 15yr warranty covers "any welds defects and leakages". I consider this to be a serious fault with the rad, would you think I'm covered by their warranty? (Naturally, I'm well outside the standard 12 month one). They're basically washing their hands of the problem, saying it must be due to a damp bathroom. Well, aren't all bathrooms damp?

Also, do you think from the picture that this is likely to leak any time soon? I need to know how quickly I need to get this replaced.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• kudox2.jpg
    kudox2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 578
Sponsored Links
Going from memory, I think Kudox are a Screwfix cheapy type brand? Shoot me down if wrong.

If its any consolation, I went for a more expensive Stelrad - and its doing exactly the same as yours.

I'm afraid I tend to consider bathroom rads almost as a consumable item - its just not a very forgiving environment.

To answer your point, your warranty would tend to cover perforation from the inside out - yours is from the outside going in. Sorry!

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the rad is less than a metre from the toilet. Our bathroom has been very damp, I admit - although I now have a new airbrick and a new extractor fan, so things are better thesedays.

How can you tell that the corrosion hasn't come from the inside?

Sponsored Links
Haha, ok. But would you think that this one is in danger of leaking imminently?

When it starts leaking, it will be from the bottom join line between the front and back panels. And it will probably start as a small dribble, allowing plenty of time to replace.

At the moment, you have surface rust only, although flaking seems to be beginning. Wire brush and protect this area, hopefully you will then get many further years use.

It's external corrosion due to poor quality paint being applied to a surface with no or little primer.....give it a coat with Hammerite Kurust or equivalent before giving it a topcoat.
It isn't going to fail dramatically!
John :)

It's external corrosion due to poor quality paint being applied to a surface with no or little primer.....give it a coat with Hammerite Kurust or equivalent before giving it a topcoat.

To be fair, I have fitted many of these rads with "poor quality paint" applied to a surface with no or little primer. I am always impressed that the paint works so well and normally does not flake or peel.

Tony

If you don't want to replace then I'd agree with @Burnerman. A bit of DIY rust prevention then some good quality enamel/hard coat over the top. You would think a warranty would cover that type of thing but manufacturers will use any excuse, the damp bathroom or too close to the toilet (wee is a major cause of rusting rads, us guys bad aim I'm afraid) is a famous get outa jail free card for them.

To be fair, I have fitted many of these rads with "poor quality paint" applied to a surface with no or little primer. I am always impressed that the paint works so well and normally does not flake or peel.

Tony
Yep, I've fitted maybe 30 or so in my illustrious non plumbing career.....in a normal environment they are just fine but a damp bathroom has them rusting more often than not, and the chances are the paint is microscopically thin on the end of the seam anyway.
For the price the quality seems excellent!

Really useful info, thanks everyone. I'll have a go at the DIY restoration first, and if that doesn't work for long I'll get a replacement from my local Plumbase, just £35.

Slightly amused by the fact that my toilet habits may have contributed to this!

Ho ho gasman bit naughty but it's true urine does corrorde steel and next to the bog it's a sitting
target,but not in danger from ladies.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back