Hi all,

I have a very small leak from hot water tank in the loft, see below:

Tank:

The leak:

Elson Clue:

Hot side of tank:

Cold side of tank:

Possible putty/filler from inside around pipe connection:

It look to me that the tank has leaked previously, the there was evidence on this when I was decorating the room below. It also appears that the previous owner used a putty/filler on the inside of the tank. The last photo shows what looks like filler to me, I pulled this out of the tank from around the pipe/tank wall joint.

Can anyone shed some light on the tank wall/pipe joint, as there doesnt feel like any kind of nut on the inside; outside reveals nothing.

I think the tank is likely on it last legs, however, what is my best leak stopping short term solution?

Regards,
G

Sponsored Links
That looks like a single feed indirect version - primatic for short. It's a store for both hot water and heating.

It won't be a particularly straightforward swap I'm afraid :(

Sponsored Links
I think the tank is likely on it last legs, however, what is my best leak stopping short term solution?
The tank is life expired, and should have been replaced when it first started leaking.

The 'short term fix' is what the previous owner did - shove a load of sealant around the leaking part and hope it doesn't leak any more.
Like most temporary fixes, it was forgotten about and became permanent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back