IMI like Elson Hot Water Storage Unit... HELP

i have tried looking online for the makers contact details, but cant find anything

tank004.jpg

Sponsored Links
yeah thanks i have had a look at that site but it seems they stopped doing hot water units in 2005 ?
so i have read anyway

i have gave them a ring and they give me some other numbers to ring

Sponsored Links
ok woman on phone from ELSON said we could replace it with a Sapphire 135 tank for £560 without fitting.

is there anyway/where i can get a used one? coz i dont have £560 :(

Harcopak also make this type of thing, which is a combined header tank and hot water cylinder in a square insulated housing. See http://www.hartons.co.uk/openventunits.html

Alternatively, you could see if Albion http://albionwaterheaters.com/CombiUnits.html
or RCM Copperform make a similar sized unit, they tend to be round and in copper, so the storage capacity is less for the physical footprint.

These type of tanks were popular in 1960s-1980s new build because they were humped in and just connected, double quick on a flat surface.

Before you bin it you may want to check the leak is not from an overflow, pipe connection or immersion heater boss.

Some of these were fitted with a shower heat exchanger, but from what I can see, not this version.

Assuming you are not going to be fitting it yourself, you will not save any money buying secondhand. plumbing equipment that is s/hand is a very bad idea, particularly if you don't have a clue :LOL:

You can probably drill out the rivets and remove the edge beads. The insulation is probably flat panels that can be pulled away/cut out. You can then see where the leak is which may be repairable.

had a closer look at it, and as far as i can see it is coming from the actual unit itself, inside somewhere.....

had some quotes for replacing it, £1000 up

I'm thinking about just getting a new combi boiler installed, british gas £2500, Npower £2200.... how much am i looking at, roughly, if i just get a local plumber in to do it?

was told i should be able to get it done for £1500

I don't need new rads

( i think if i started drilling out the rivets it would just end up with ALOT more leaks ;) ......... )

Drill out the rivets in the "tea chest" and see if the cylinder is leaking...or if the leak is coming from an overflow as suggested earlier...you have nothing to lose...

Ask around friends and neighbours for a recomended local plumber. A more mature gentleman might have dealt with these things before.

There is a fair chance the leak is at a bit of pipe or a connector, which is not difficult to repair.

You have little to lose...

ok i will get the rivets drilled........ if it is a simple leak and it is fixable... how would i go about fixing the 'tea chest' back together???

Either use a rivet gun to replace the rivets...or a few small say ~M3 bolts...even a bit of duct tape will do the job!!
It is the least of your worries!
Marty.

ok i have taken all the sides off.. apart from the side where all the pipes come out. i have loosened that one as much as i could..... filled the tank up and sat and watched it........ very very slight amount of water is coming from this

tank002.jpg

guessing this is where its leaking from, as there is no where else that i can see, slowly been leaking for a long time ?

what is the pipe? and any idea how i sort it out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back