IMI like Elson Hot Water Storage Unit... HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya

the hot water tank in my loft has sprung a leak somewhere and destroyed bedroom ceiling.

i have had a plumber mate of mine take a look and he says the tank needs replacing with an elson indirect tank, i have had a look around the one in loft and the name i found was 'Orbit TYPE RR5' . . i can post pics if needed.

where can i get hold of a used tank?

i don't have £500+ lying around to buy a new one, and desperately need to sort it out as i have little kiddies and a very cold house.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont know what kind of tank you have but if its just a gravity fed system serving a typical 3 or 4 bed dwelling you should be able to pick up a tank for around €60...thats what i paid for one about a year ago anyway.

Sponsored Links
OK...havent replaced a hot water cylinder myself (yet) so cant really offer anymore advice.
Im sure if u have a look round you ill pick one up cheaper than that...sounds ridiculous to me!

yes, a picture please

For a new hot water cylinder, including fitting, £500 is reasonable. If in a loft it may be harder to get at (and carry up the ladder)

A new cylinder might cost you in the region of £150, plus other bits and pieces, maybe an immersion heater.

you might get a used one cheap, but fitting will probably be more work, and it is more likely to leak later.

yes, a picture please

For a new hot water cylinder, including fitting, £500 is very reasonable. If in a loft it may be harder to get at (and carry up the ladder)

that was without fitting, he just said thats how much the tanks start at

I'll be interested to see the picture and understand what sort it is.

Is it fed from the cold water tank, or at mains pressure?

Is it heated by the gas boiler, or in some other way?

Does it look like this
p1053465_l.jpg

Do you like plumbing?

have seen the picture now, it isn't what i was expecting. there may be some reason I don't now why that product was needed.

If you "edit" your original post you can change the Subject Title from "Hot Water Tank In Loft Leaking... HELP" to "Elson Hot Water Storage Unit" which may attract people who understand these things.

It will be useful to see a pic of yours in place with the various pipes and tanks you have.

took some pics, im just uploading the pics and now probably have spiders in my hair :eek:

do i like plumbing?

umm no, im a girl :LOL:

I doesn't look very old

I wonder if it can be repaired?

Ask the makers if they have a local service agent

where is it leaking from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back