Advice on fitment of bay windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
In the process of having new curved bay windows fitted.
Fitters came last week took out all the window frames. Then they realised that the new external window cill they had ordered was wrong and not the correct angles.
They proceeded to fit the new window frames onto the old window cill. They said that they have ordered a new cill, and as soon as that arrives that they can simply slide the old cill out and insert the new one in its place.
My concern is, how will they be able to silicon between the frames and cill. And also silicon the ends of each the frames?
Is this an acceptable method of doing it? Or should i insist on them removing the frames and starting again with the new cill in place?

Attachments

• IMG_1558.jpeg
    IMG_1558.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
They should have checked everything before removing it!
But anyway no it's not acceptable to do it that way , for the very reasons you say. Also how are they stopping that new cill from moving off the block work??

Thank you for the reply.

At the moment the old cill is just sitting there on some packers. They used it as a template to get all the frames in. They have said that they will slide in the new cill and they will be able to silicon it where needed... I am not convinced..

Yeah , I'd be dubious how that new cill is going to seal correctly and how it's going to not move from the building!

Sponsored Links
Ask them how the propose to fit the bay jacks now and watch their faces
Do you mean the poles that go between each frame? Those have already been fitted as far as i can see.

Do these poles normally rest on the cill?

Attachments

• 3646545D-CBA6-460C-B617-68CD897B10D5.png
    3646545D-CBA6-460C-B617-68CD897B10D5.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
Yeah , I'd be dubious how that new cill is going to seal correctly and how it's going to not move from the building!
What is the correct method that would normally be used to secure the cill? Does ot need to be secured independently for the window frames? Or is a screw driven through the frame, into the cill and then into the brickwork in?

Bay poles ,in your case I'm hoping they are load bearing, fix through the cill to the to the block work transferring the weight above to the existing wall , they should NOT be resting on the cill. I am at a loss to understand how they think they are going to ' slide ' that cill out and a new one in and the installation be safe and sound, without damaging/altering the new cill. Personally I'd want to have the new cill secured to the property too . I just don't see how this can be put right, correctly , without removing the windows again. Lot of work but their cock up

Do you mean the poles that go between each frame? Those have already been fitted as far as i can see.

Do these poles normally rest on the cill?

Have they fitted these or similar type of jacks to the poles? As you can see the jack goes through the cill and rests on the brick work, how do they propose to remove the cill if they've fitted bay jacks through it............my guess is they haven't fitted them, certainly need them downstairs because that brick barrel will move, I'd even fit them upstairs despite it being a cantilevered roof

Screenshot_20230314_080155_Samsung Internet.jpg

Doesn't look like theyvhave Crank, if you enlarge the picture you can see the frame joiners is straight to cill. That window needs to be removed and done correctly.

Hi Everyone!. Thank you all so much for your advice! I have gained extra knowledge from you all in here, as I did not even know the pole jacks.
As far as i can see they have fitted the poles which are resting onto the old cill.

Regarding the jack that goes through the cill and resting onto the brickwork. Is this standard practice to do it in this way? Just so that if it is, then i want to insist that they do it the correct way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back