Advice on fitting a upvc door/frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Bear with me guys as I'm new to forums and new to fitting upvc doors.

What it is i bought a used upvc door/frame to fit to my garage as the old wooden door/frame was totally rotten but I've noticed a problem, And I'm unsure on what to do Or a good solution to hold off future problems.

I've added some here in my photos album of the issue for you guys to take alook

This 2nd hand upvc door and frame i purchased is just about the right size.. around a 70mm gap at the bottom to allow for a cill.

But the problem is where this upvc door is replacing the old wooden door/frame the ground level outside the door way where the cill goes is slightly higher as you can see,

I was thinking about cementing a level coarse of house bricks where the cill would go Butting them right up against this inch or so lip step up and sit the frame on top of the brick work but seal the bottom of the frame well before fitting it.. But I'm still abit concerned rain water could still work his way down between where the brick cill is butted upto this lip step up outside and in time seep between and under the brick work allowing wet/dampness into the garage door way,

If you can take a look at the photos guy in my album on here and offer a solution for this Or a product that will help I'd be very grateful

All the best

View media item 77188 View media item 77189 View media item 77190 View media item 77191 View media item 77192 View media item 77193 View media item 77194

Sponsored Links
Packing up a bit with bricks would be a good idea.

TBH as the internal and external concrete is touching you will always have moisture soaking through to the inside. Best bet is probably to cut away some of the external concrete slab.

Ideally you should cut it back about 300mm, Dig a small trench, Put Dpc against the garage side of the floor (maybe also a few good coats of bitumen paint) then fill the trench with loose gravel to allow drainage.

Actually the really correct thing to do would be to lower the external ground level to 200mm below DPC of the building but obviously this would be a big and messy job.

Surely the Pvc frame comes with a bottom bar, which if packed up and is hard against the lip edge and sealed, will act as the cill? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Normally PVC door frames come with 4 corner welded pieces., 2 side legs, top and bottom bars/rails. Is yours different? ...pinenot :)

Yes the UPVC door is in a UPVC frame.. Around 70mm thick frame.. With this step up lip regarding the ground level outside ( As in the photos ) being just over 60mm.. If fitted the frame to the garage ground level the door itself would be amount hitting the outside ground level.. ( see photos of step up lip )

To solve this i was going to cement a coarse of house bricks across the door opening ( As a cill ) making the garage floor level slightly higher than the outside ground.. Butting the coarse of house brick right up against this step up lip and sitting/seal the frame on the coarse of bricks so its away from the outside ground level... But I'm considered that rain water will seep between where the house bricks up butted up against the outside ground level and in time seep under the brick work causing dampness in the garage door way.

If you need to extend the depth of the frames, consider fitting upvc extensions they fit into the profile checks, making a waterproof build up when siliconed...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back