Advice on fixing my track please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, hoping for some advice. I have a deteriorating track that approaches my house which is getting rather annoying. It’s got worse over the last few years and I need to do something about it. The pics below show it not at its worst actually. After a lot of rain, the water can cover the entire width, almost up to the car in the picture. My property is quite low lying which means we do get a lot of water, plus the soil is dry heavy with clay. The grass you see is not my property although I do own the track. I did manage to divert some of the water actually into my garden and into some land drainage which drains into a gulley, that is already in place (last pic). However, the fall is not sufficient to completely drain the track that way. I had some quotes for tarmac and drainage but they ranged from 4 to 6k which seemed excessive. It’s only from the foreground to not quite that car you see. Any ideas on what I could do myself? We were thinking of getting some hardcore, and filling in the low spots to level and hopefully displace water that way. Not sure exactly what I mean by hard core really... what should I get exactly?,... not sure. Help appreciated. Thanks.
33829592-A752-422E-97C3-18E7306B9B0F.jpeg
B46A6FC6-D505-45D9-AD62-2C8740F9133C.jpeg

55E0282B-FEF6-4056-972C-3C750DF14268.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It'll be a fairly dear do whatever you decide.....what worked here was to dig out about 300mm of the (presumed) topsoil that your track is made of, chuck a layer of weed barrier down, lay a couple of rolls of land drain either side of the track (the perforated plastic is easier than the trad clay pipes) running to a soakaway or the river or whatever then backfill with road planings (much cheaper than MOT- think I was paying £6/cube a couple of years ago, gets cheaper if you've got access for a wagonload).

Maybe you could use crushed concrete or stone? My brother used crushed stones from the quarry because it was a lot cheaper than the merchants. He used a thick layer so that it didn't push the mud up, he also put a membrane down first to help the stone bind better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back