Advice On Fixing New Pipes To Joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing up my house, and taking the opportunity to replace all water and ch pipes whilst the floors are up.

The old pipes were over 50 yrs old, and installed with gravity feed systems in mind. As a result, not much attention to securing pipes was taken, and this proved noisy when we changed over to all mains pressure and pressurised ch 15 years ago. They used to rattle and bang, with lots of expansion noise on ch.

What is the best way of securing the pipes to notched joists, ie. what would a plumber do? Snap-close Talon type plastic clips are too bulky in notches, should I use copper saddle types? What can I use to cut down on expansion noise?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
under floor and in loft on lagged pipes i use saddle clips, in the mid floors where the pipes are above the down stairs ceiling i dont usually clip the pipes as i find they are noisy on expansion or contraction, but i do fit a short bit of lagging where the pipe passes over the joist cut to minimise noise, it works for me,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back