Advice on foundations clay and solid rock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I hope you’re all well. I have a quick question. I’ve started digging foundations for a part-brick conservatory around 4.7m x 3m. Because it’s solid clay all the way down, I’ve continued digging down to around 1m depth and appear to now be at solid rock, some of which is slightly over and some slightly under 1m depth. See attached photo.

I was planning on getting it trench filled with ready mix concrete. I was wondering whether I need to “even up” the rock with hardcore or anything, or whether it should be poured in directly
IMG_8737.jpeg
as is.

All advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Is it solid rock or just a lot of rocks which are solid?

If it is solid rock you can just concrete and build right off it, it ain't going anywhere his era

If it is solid rock you can just concrete and build right off it, it ain't going anywhere his era
Cheers Woody. I removed all the loose rocks and have removed any remaining clay using a garden trowel and it does indeed appear to be one massive piece of rock.

Sorry to bother you again Woody (and everyone), on further investigation, there’s a difference of 20-30cm in places (so in some places the depth is 110, others 80-90) and it’s very lumpy. Is this likely to cause any sort of stress cracks, or is it too thick to have to worry about that?

Attachments

• IMG_8749.jpeg
    IMG_8749.jpeg
    848.9 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back