Advice on making a desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I need to build a desk into an alcove for a computer, monitor and stuff. I'm planning on using batons and a slab of MDF fitted into the alcove. What thickness MDF, size of batons and screws would you recommend?

The alcove is 1300mm in length, the width of one wall is 360mm and the other about 700mm, ideally the width needs to be about 600mm. Will this be a problem on the short wall? Should I support that side with a leg or can I curve the desk to go from 360mm to 600mm and not need any extra support?

I need to put this up in hurry and don't have time to make and rectify the mistakes I normally make when trying to build stuff :D

By the way it needs to be able to take a CRT monitor short term which is pretty heavy but hope to replace soon with an LCD.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you can get a good fixing into all three walls, your job is half done.....bearers in the region of 75mm wide by 40mm thick would do fine, or even sections less than that would be ok.
Its probably best to use 8mm plastic plugs and allow them to penetrate into the wall by 50mm or thereabouts to be on the safe side.
As for the MDF top, the thicker the better to avoid it distorting - say 25mm? I don't think you would need a peg - leg in the middle really but you could use a bearer across the 1300mm span maybe 200mm in from the front edge just to give extra support.
I'm sure you'll get other suggestions but I hope your project goes well.
John :)

choose your self a bed side cabinet or drawers the height you want to support each side then you wont have a support problem you can then use conti board or timber board

Thanks for the advice Burnerman, do you think if I used a 18mm and 6mm MDF board together that would be just as good as one 25mm board?

Sponsored Links
You can get away with 18mm if supported as suggested, my desk is only 18mm [although it's Oak blockboard].No problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back