advice on making shower tray using tiles and wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an awkwardly sized bathroom, i am tiling the whole floor and all walls.

due to the size of the corner where i want to put my shower and the distance from the corner to the window edge, the enclosures that are available are very small and poxy.

i would like to make a shower tray/wet tray and buy a walk in shower screen which i could position where i like and not be confined to 670-700mm.

my initial thoughts are, if i layered say 2 pieces of 15mm-20mm marine play on top of each other then raised these off the floor with a wooden frame made from 2x3's( to stop flex in the ply, that would raise it up enough to attach a waste pipe/outlet. i would then coat the marine ply in waterproof adhesive and use water proof grout. I just dont know if this would be water proof enough?

it will be designed so that the water will run toward the plug etc. i havent got £800 ish to spend on the ready made wet room floors etc, but what im after is something similar to these:

http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/cheapest/Aquadry-Wetzone-50mm-raised-1850x900mm/23031992/434

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1251109390633&isSearch=true

can someone tell me if my marine ply and frame tiled shower upstand would do the job and be waterproof enough? the tray would be roughly 1000mm by 1200mm and a curved screen would be placed on the wall arounf the 670mm marker, the curve would allowa little extra room.

this is a crappy paint drawing of my bathroom.
shower.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ive done a few bespoke trays similar to what your after and use aqua panel on a timber frame,then use a tanking kit.

Try "Wedi Board"

"Fundo" do a range of wet room/walk in shower bases for around £200 - £300 - you can make what ever shape you want, and its 100% watertight - if you follow the manufacturers instructions.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
I can't quite see what your getting for £800 from b&q. looks like a bit of a waste of money to me.
your plan sounds good to me, just make sure there's no movement, and tank it as the guys above suggest.

Have you considered extending the platform across the whole floor (like a stage)? The current plan makes me think that water will splash onto the floor over the edge that is not protected by the screen. Water getting onto the floor will not have a drain to take it away. The person using the shower will have to walk up a step anyway. Also, with the existing step being so close to the shower point, there is the hazard of an accidental fall off the platform. I don't foresee an accident if the edge is a continuance of the line of screen.

Just my thoughts.

Best of luck, your idea looks like it is possible to build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back