Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a small terraced house. It is in a linear setout (where each room is behind another, NOT next to each other)

i have proposed a plan to install a mezzanine floor above the two bedrooms. for this to happen, i will need to remove the current ceiling. however in doing this i will need to also remove supporting joists for the roof.

(Please see attached PDF for illustration of my plan)

obviously i would need a structural engineer to come and assess the property, but so i have a rough idea, can anyone advise where i would need to install new supporting beams?

thanks

Attachments

• mezzanine proposal 01.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
Your change is increasing the span of the rafters so you might still need support there. Also your ridge is provably designed for compression not shear so you'd need to do something there if you remove the ties at the rafer feet.

Why do you need "a rough idea" when you claim to have a SE coming on site?

Sponsored Links
Why do you need "a rough idea" when you claim to have a SE coming on site?
because i dont have access to the house yet! and i need to "rough idea" so i can make changes to my plan if it isnt feasible.

thanks to all for their replies.(y)

Your reply is illogical on both counts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back