Supporting balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a first floor balcony up for about two years that is based upon two steel beams supported by the party walls. The beams go into the party walls and rest on slate underneath.

Building regs have sent me a letter telling me
1. padstones are required to the end bearing of the steel beams.
2. Structural calculations are required for the steel sections.

My question; Can my builder support the steel beams and fit the padstones in situ without having to to take the whole thing down and start again. I'm thinking I should be able to do it with propping the beams and sliding the padstones in. Do I need to instruct on strength of mortar?
Secondly how the hell do I do the structural calculations for the steel sections, or who would I approach for this. Calculations were submitted before the work was done and I thought that was that.

I may talk to Building Regs on Monday but I thought I'd better get some advice from anyone on here first.

Presumably if I don't do this they could require me to take the balcony down and replace it with what went before - a smaller balcony!!!

Sponsored Links
Why are the b regs people suddenly interested after two years?

yes you can, in a lot of circumstances, retro-fit padstones beneath a steel beam. we frequently do it.

a structural engineer will be able to provide calc's.

Sponsored Links
oompah said:
Why are the b regs people suddenly interested after two years?

Probably co's he did it without regs :rolleyes: and is now trying to get regularisation, prob flogging his house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back