Advice on new boiler and fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you and your families are well.

The time has come to change the boiler in the family home.

Currently running a very faulty Halstead Iheat 35c.

The house is large, most rooms are at least 5m by 4m, it has 11 radiators, two bathrooms and 1 kitchen.

I would like a powerful boiler with good flow, capacity and a long guarantee (obviously fitted by a certified fitter).

Its mostly used for hot water, with occasional heat in the winter.

What can you recommend? what brands and models are best and most reliable?

I am seeing a lot of external tanks being installed, is this ideal? I could probably fit one in the kitchen loft space, would this be suitable for my circumstances?

I am also seeing other ancillaries being fitted, a drip monitor, some sort of relief valve and the typical magnets. Are these recommended? is there anything else that you can recommend?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,

Sponsored Links
I am seeing a lot of external tanks being installed, is this ideal? I could probably fit one in the kitchen loft space, would this be suitable for my circumstances?

Sensible in a two bathroom house to have a store of hot water that can supply more than one tap at a time.

What can you recommend?

There really are too many variables and it would be better to find a trusted installer to take a look and give you advice. Check friends/family/neighbours and see if they have any recommendations.

Different installers can favour different makes and model of boiler but hard to tell without taking a look. Combi may be best, some sort of HW storage may be best but difficult to advise for certain.

Thank you for your reply.

Apologies for not being clear earlier and for the length of these posts.

Basically I try to do a little research before I commit to anything, it’s so I don’t make a costly mistake in my decision.

More information on the house:

· Spread over four floors, including the attic and cellar.

· Has two bathrooms:

o Upstairs has thermostatic shower and shower fed from taps.

o Downstairs has an electric shower.

· We only use the central heating a couple of hours a night in the winter due to the family being all over the place and we find it inefficient to heat the whole house. So We use electric oil filled heaters in rooms that are occupied during the day.

· It’s a large family with constant pull at the hot water.

· Want a reliable boiler that we shouldn’t have many problems with. We had a Vaillant installed in 1992 it lasted 19 years with just a pump replacement, they don’t make it like that anymore.

Future plans:

These are all thoughts at the moment but will obviously affect the use of the boiler.

· Maybe add a third toilet and sink to the attic.

· A Quooker style tap to the kitchen (not done any research on these yet so not sure if any good)

· Maybe add a thermostatic shower downstairs (leave electric in situ just in case boiler fails)

Boilers:

At the moment I am torn between two boilers the Baxi Platinum+ 40kw or the Viessmans Vitodens 111 35kw.

The Baxi is a standard replacement combi, the and the Vitodens has a 46 litre storage tank then operates as a 35kw. I’ve heard great things about both.

The existing boiler is in the dining room and the extra size of the Vitodens is putting me off slightly as is the thought of it having to fill the tanks while we wait for a supply of hot water.

I am going to buy a weir cup to monitor the flow rate on the cold, the suggestion is this will give me an idea of which KW would be best for the house.

I am now seeing a lot more installs of additional expansion vessels, this is something I am also considering as the house is large and although it only has 11 radiators I have seen the pressure reach 3 bar occasionally and the current one (although faulty) is sending a lot of water out via the PRV.

I am thinking to install a shock arrester, have again seen this on recent installs and have noticed some slight water hammer in the downstairs bathroom.

Just after some thoughts to my thoughts really.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Go for a intergas

https://www.intergasheating.co.uk/consumer/products/hre/hre-36-40/
This boiler can be fitted as a heat only or combi !

You could also fit an unvented cylinder on an S plan to it to have mains pressure hot water but it really depends on the cold flow rates in to the property.

If you've only got a 15mm water supply just use this boiler as a combi, I fitted one of these where they has a 25mm mdpe water supply their comments on the hot water delivery for the two bathroom, and shower room house ? Outstanding hot water !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back