advice on new floorboards on a 5'x8' room, first time

S

sentinal73

Newbie here,

Renovating my own property and currently doing the box room

I've removed all the plaster as it was 'blown' and plan to dryline it myself and have someone skim it

I also need a new door and door lining etc

I've noticed the floorboards are uneven and some are broken. I was planning on fitting a new floor and was wondering what the preference is, ie new tongue and groove floorboards or flooring chipboard.

The room is approx 5'x8' and current floorboards go across the width of the room.

I hope to fully decorate the room once done, new skirtings etc, except for carpets which will be the last job in the house to do

In 6-9 months time I plan to have central heating installed which means the new flooring will have to be take up to access underneath them.

Think it might be better to hold off on doing the flooring until the central heating is done? Do as much as I can in the room but fit the floorboards and skirting once the central heating it done?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I'd go for T&G boards, rather than chipboard, especially if you want to lift them again.

One tip may be to screw the boards down rather than nail them. They will be easier to lift later on. I'd wait until the heating is in though - save yourself loads of work!

You could always put some 18mm MDF or something down for now to allow you to decorate, then put the new boards down once the heating is in.

dont!! put t&G boards down if you want to lift them again. Use str8 cut edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back