Advice on outdoor wiring system please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached stone outbuilding about 18 inches from my house which has a single feed to a metal clad switch. I have no idea where this cable runs from apart from it is protected by steel tubing at 7 feet from the house to the outbuilding.

I wish to add 8 outdoor lights rated at 35w each on a cable run of 35m. 2 IP65 double sockets on a cable run of 15m and (eventually a single supply for an electric gate with a cable run of 40m) and 2 outdoor security lights PIR total 300w rating with a cable run of around 10m.

Can I do anything with my 2.5 T/E supply to the switch in the outbuilding to supply this set up, or do I have to start again form my CU with a fresh cable run?

Ta....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I havnt give it much thought yet as its last on my list of jobs but form what I can see they are about 2 amps

This is all apec that i can find........

•Main Supply (Control) Dedicated Circuit 230V/50Hz
•Motor 24V
•Capacity 2A
•Rated thrust 250N
•Max Gate width 4m
•Max gate weight 250kg
•Degree of protection I-IP44
•Travel speed variable
•Opening time 90° ca. 12 sec.
•Working temperature -20°C to +55°

Yeah.....I am Part P qualified but not electrician as job... Someone will be employed to inspect and test all work done
That is not the same as notifying the work.
'Part P qualified' is a meaningless statement.

I am Part P qualified
Part P is one of the parts of the Building Regulations, not a qualification.

What sort of worthless fraudulent piece of paper do you have which misleads you into thinking that you know anything?

Someone will be employed to inspect and test all work done
Employed by whom?

If not by, or by the direction of, your LABC after you've notified in advance of starting the work then you are truly in the realms of "it doesn't work like that".

I am aiming to summise what sort of work this will entail. I will be buying the materials and running cable etc retrospectively due to decking being built and landscaping, then an electrician is will be on site to do whatever he needs to do.

I am aiming to summise what sort of work this will entail. I will be buying the materials and running cable etc retrospectively due to decking being built and landscaping, then an electrician is will be on site to do whatever he needs to do.
Unfortunately for yourself it doesn't work like that. And if you're 'Part P qualified' you should know this.
The electrician who signs the Electrical Installation Certificate and notifies your LABC will need to be involved in all three stages of the process. They being the design of the circuit, the installation and the testing.
You may be able to do some of the grunt work like burying the cable etc but that is for him to decide.
So get the electrician in now - get him to do the calculations regarding voltage drop, cable size etc and agree with him the best way to move forward. Pointless asking us here since we will not be signing the EIC.

Thanks for all your advice..I will be talking to my electrician tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back