Advice On Patching Up Damaged Plaster After Removing Tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a new kitchen fitted a week on Friday. My kitchen is not that big. Anyway I removed the tiles and it has damaged the very thin layer of finishing plaster. I do not want to tile again as I really dislike them, and was just going to get a trim put around the same material as the work top. Anyway I got a tradesman round and he quoted me £80 which I thought was a touch expensive as it is not that expensive up here in the North of England and it is not a large area. He also told me that I would probably be able to still see the patches where the plaster has fallen off through the paint once he has plastered? Is this true as it sounds dubious? Then again I am no expert, I just thought a proper plasterer should be able to make it pretty perfect? I am probably wrong, just had really bad dealings with tradesmen before that were not recommended by a friend. Any advice, I know it is difficult without seeing the kitchen, I am just more bothered about his comments of it showing up through the paint :confused: Wish I could trust tradesmen but so many are dodgy unfortunately!

Sponsored Links
Hi Wokeye
There should not be really anything showing after it has been plastered, I would make sure that any loose material is off, clean the surface to be plastered, pva, to seal it then dub out the low points with plaster first, and when ready skim over the whole area, I have done it in this way all the time and have never anything showing through afterwards but remember that plaster does shrink back slightly once dried
All the best
Dale

The plasterer is correct in his advice (if patching). However, if you got full wall(s) patched then fully plasterered then you would not have any problems. The 'able to still see patches' i believe he is refering to is the egdes of the patch (around the patch rim) though as stated if you got full wall plastered then you would not have this problem. Also £80 is not expensive in plastering rates i.e. petrol £10, material £20, vehicle cost £10, tools and vat etc works out at £55, leaving £25 profit !

Third_Eye

well said ... :) :)
most guys think ALL tradesmen are Cowboys ....£80 I ask you..HHHHmmm lol
Good plasterers up north would charge double for what you mentioned ..lol OH Yes :)

get a cheaper lad to do it an get done ...... :(
then come an moan here ..lol

Sponsored Links
Am not being nasty to you "wokeye" though the price is VERY cheap when you break it down. Lol, "Moz"

Third_Eye

even though my "workers post" was deleted as who knows WHY ?????????

I spoke about scum customers etc wanting jobs for nothing , on giving quotes .....lol

you know the game fella ..lol ;)

Lol, yep even years ago i had a lady try to tell me she had a qoute for £30 labour and material to artex her kitchen walls ! I said if i done it at the price dear then i think i should be sectioned under the mental health act cos then i would be paying you for me to artex your kitchen ! ! ! Maybe i do have a problem, my eye has started twitching, hehe.

Seems to be widespread in terms of NON-PAYMENT by clients, but be a good citizen and pay your Council Tax, NI, Income Tax, Petrol Tax (Stolen off you at Petrol Stations), VAT on goods & all Bills and all other hidden taxes but if someone does not pay up for a job done then dont expect any help from all Tax paying Agencies. Anyhow, instead of having the TV show "Tradesmen From Hell" they should have one for "Clients From Hell".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back