Advice on plasterboarding "Inside" chimney breast.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum I hope you are all well and looking forward to a well deserved break.

I have a little DIY project planned in the coming days and just need some advice please, The fireplace area on my chimney breast no longer in use, it has already been removed , I will be widening the opening and cleaned out, in order to make it into a cable box / router area with TV hanging on the chimney breast just above it.

I am planning to block the chimney flue at the bottom with some cement board and wooden frame.

My question is, the "box" bit that will house electrical socket and the TV accessories, can this be made with standard plasterboard ? I plan to just stick the plasterboard directly onto the bricks using some grab adhesive. (after I have give the bricks a good clean)

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not as long as the frame doesn't interfere with the plasterboard back box lugs

Blup

I plan to leave enough gap on both sides of the box to allow for the back boxes to fit.

I was worried if the plasterboards might deteriorate if it gets too cold in the chimney breast, but i suppose all the electrics producsiong some heat will keep things warm enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back