Advice on re-pointing brickwork below hacked off render #pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum and DIY so please bear with me!

Several years ago I had decking put down. Before decking, the render was hacked off near the bottom, and the exposed brick painted black with what I assume was something bituminous. I was told the render needed hacking away to stop the damp course being bridged. To be honest I don't know if there is a DPC, I can't see evidence of one.

I've taken up some decking and the brick work looks in pretty bad shape. Some of the holes are pretty large / deep. I don't know if it was damaged taking off the render, or water penetration over the years. The decking edges were flush to the brick in some places, which I've been told could cause issues, so I've cut them back to leave a gap.

I've attached a few photos.

I have some questions I was hoping you could help with please:

1. Should I re-point / repair with a lime based mortar (house is older than 1900), or is this not recommended because if a DPC exists, it will be bridged?
2. If I do re-point / repair, would I paint over with a fresh coat of bitumen?

Even though this course of bricks is below the decking and it technically doesn't matter what the end result looks like, I would like to do a decent job and hopefully learn something very useful in the process.

Unfortunately I can't check for signs of damp inside as there are kitchen units in front.

Thanks guys, most appreciated!

Cheers

M

Sponsored Links
All that paint or bitumen (or whatever it is) is doing is trapping moisture in the wall below any dpc (if there is one) and causing damage to the brickwork by not allowing any moisture to evaporate.

Hi Tony

The black paint is not something I've done myself, and it's been on there for years. Do I try and remove this (advice welcome) and then re-point / repair with lime mortar please?

As I said before, I'm new to DIY so advice for dummies greatly appreciated.

Cheers

M

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

I'd really appreciate any advice on how to tidy this up. If my post is incorrect / basic then please correct me, it's my lack of knowledge, but I'm struggling to know what to do here for the best.

Cheers

M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back