Advice on repainting cement render.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old dear at the top of the street has asked me if I will repaint the gable end of her house
( the top bit ) Access is very awkward and she can't get anyone interested and I can see why! She is a lovely old lady and I feel obliged to help. Anyway I am not a painter but I don't have a problem with heights or ladders, so I was hoping for some advice about the job from the painting section. The gable is cement rendered and looks ok but the paint is peeling off in places, I am expecting to scrape off all the loose stuff but after that I'm not sure?

Sponsored Links
You may need to clean the wall with a fungicide or something.

You don't want to be painting over any green stuff.

As you say, scrape off any loose paint.

You may need an exterior filler to smooth off where you have scraped, and certainly any cracks.

Diluted masonry paint over bare render or new filler.

And of course, careful cutting in - any paint on the bargeboards or window frames or down pipes or whatever will make the job look very shoddy.

Ok thanks sparkwright
Any particular paint you recommend ? I haven't been up a ladder yet to inspect the wall close up.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back