Advice on replacing isolation valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
The isolation valve up in the loft is weaping (from the flat head screw)
It's a compression fitting.

My question is, can I just replace it with the appropriate sized handle valve? (It's a 22mm)

More specifically, can I re-use the existing nuts on the pipework and just screw them into the new valve or must I remove the old olives and use the ones that come with the new valve?

(Have uploaded a pic if it helps?)

Thanks for any help.

View media item 56575

Sponsored Links
The basic answer is 'yes'.

It looks to me like someone has already done that - shiny body and dull nuts.

It is possible that the pipe recess within the new fitting might be deeper than your existing fitting, which isn't ideal, but isn't a dealbreaker on what I assume is an open-vented / gravity system. If you can move the olive to suit the new valve body, do. Some move quite easily - others not.

Get some ptfe tape while you're at it and wind 2-3 turns around the olives before you put it back together - and don't overtighten it! Don't use a spanner on the body of the new valve either - unless it has flats for that purpose.

Oh, and make sure you are certain the pipe is largely empty before you start!

depends if the old olive was put on so tight its grinched the pipe big time, in which case a bit of ptfe does certainly help. but always use paste with olives.

Sponsored Links
Err the basic answer is yes, so long as it is the same make.
99.99999999999999% of manufacturers 22mm compression threads are NOT compatible.

If you can move the olive to suit the new valve body, do. Some move quite easily - others not.
:?: :?: Olives should not move at at all, surely.

Brass nuts, chrome body.

Err the basic answer is yes, so long as it is the same make.
99.99999999999999% of manufacturers 22mm compression threads are NOT compatible.

I must've been reallllllllyyyyyy lucky then. And the bloke who swapped the shiny chrome body onto the dull brass nuts got lucky too!

I should go and get myself a lottery ticket I'm so lucky!

:D

Good point, it does look as though someone has already done what I'm suggesting.

It is possible that the pipe recess within the new fitting might be deeper than your existing fitting, which isn't ideal, but isn't a dealbreaker on what I assume is an open-vented / gravity system. If you can move the olive to suit the new valve body, do. Some move quite easily - others not.

No, it's the cold water feed to two electric showers. (Yes, I know I shouldn't have even touched this valve, and simply used the cock under the sink.)
I wasn't expecting the olive to move at all, that's why I was asking if can leave it in place and simply fit the new valve with the old nut/olive that's already on the pipe?
If the olive moves, then I'd simply remove it along with the old nut and use the new ones supplied with new valve.

Get some ptfe tape while you're at it and wind 2-3 turns around the olives before you put it back together - and don't overtighten it! Don't use a spanner on the body of the new valve either - unless it has flats for that purpose.

If it doesn't have flats for a spanner, how should I hold it steady?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back