advice on roof rafters and underfelt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am not experienced with roofs just a diy'er looking for some advice.
I am building a single storey rear extension 7.6Mtr x 4Mtr.
I have just ordered the 7x2 roof rafters and ceiling joists. These have come untreated and builders merchants says thats standard.
Do i have to treat them? and if so what with?
Next question is...i am using breathable roof felt (advice from building control inspector,....Do i have to use a polythene sheet under it, or can i fix the felt direct to rafters then batten and tile?
I am using Marley Melbourn tiles...so any advice on them would be appreciated especially regarding how to finish the sides (verges) and what flashing to use.
Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Generally roof timbers do not have to be treated unless the work is in the areas of the UK susceptible to Longhorn Beetle infestation (Home Counties or thereabouts) but its good practice to use pressure treated timber in any case

You don't need to bother treating the timbers now, but you should treat the cut ends - specifically at the eaves. Use any suitable preservative or specific endgrain product

No polythene required

Don't forget your plastic eaves tray and corrugated vent to keep the insulation down at the eaves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back