Advice on Sheds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy a shed and have come across various shapes and sizes. I have now settled on a standard 7 x 6 shed with window as this will give me enough storage and work space.

I loathe buying stuff out of B&Q (maybe screws, nails I can accept) but I find their sheds somewhat pricey.

I have come across other websites that offer 7 x 6 sheds for around £170...

They do say you do get what you pay for and I am not sure if I should buy from B&Q or the one that is £170. Its an online company so one cant see what the build quality is like.

What are your thoughts? Have you had experience from buying from a 'cheap' online source? What should I expect to pay for a 7 x 6 shed?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The phrase you used - "You get what you pay for " is certainly true with sheds.

They generally appear quite pricey, but for £170 I wouldn't expect too much.

I personally wouldn't buy one that I hadn't seen before or at least had a recommendation, but it all depends on what your expectations are.

The cheaper the shed generally the smaller the size of wood used in the framework, which in turn affects the stability.Also, the floors tend to be of quite thin material.

However, if you're not that bothered about the structure and the life expectancy just go for a cheap option, but remember taht if you're not happy with something you buy online when it's delivered it won't be cheap to return it.
:) :)

Don't you have any local manufacturers of sheds they are quite common and it means you can have a look around before buying. We've brought a couple of sheds from a firm not far from us and both times have asked "anything off for cash?" and they have duely knocked off between 5 and 10 % even though one was in a clearance sale anyway.
We went for cedar sheds as well, a little more pricy but built to last.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips. I'll prob look at local places then. The wood does look thin on some of the online sheds.

I'd prefer to build my own. WBP roof and floor, light frame, perhaps shiplap or featheredge cladding, maybe felt under the cladding?

Don't know how cost would compare but quality would be higher

definatly make your own
more expensive but well made and exactly what you want :D
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=e1e47346.pbw

my shed is 10x12ft now 8 years and even better than these pictures :D

if you do buy a shed 8x10 minimum add 12mm sterling board or ply on top off the floor for strength
and use a thicker felt on the roof to last longer than the 5 years the cheap stuff will last

I especially like the end walls which open out on hinges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back