Shed building!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice for a beginner looking to get a shed?
Buy a B n Q one, build one etc? I was considering cementing an area of my grass and building a shed for storage.

Any tips or advice welcome!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Avoid B&Q Homebase etc very flimsy things, look for a national supplier like Skinners (they are based in Bexhill East sussex, but have displays in garden centres) lots of others out there too.
Go for a company that has a show site where you can have a look and a good old poke about to see the quality. Avoid overlap sheds they warp and open up gaps in no time. Go for shiplap or other tongue and groved type construction.

Very often you'll find shed and the like in your local free sites i.e. freegle freecycle etc. (your town or area added) ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
The £170 and £219 look fine I would add diagonal bracing to the door on the £219 one myself.
Avoid the £147 overlap model. Which you go for depends on if you want the water to run off against the wall/fence at the back or off the front.

I have one like the £170 model I had to fit a bar (a piece of arris rail) over the door as water from the roof was running in the doors.

And yes I know it needs repainting it's at the end of a very long list!! ;)

Great, thanks for the reply. Much apreciated.

So except £50 there isn`t much else between the sheds!? (and the lack of door braces!)
Just seems a big difference in price for 2 very similar looking sheds.

Davey

Yes slight difference in measurements and the floor material, OSB might be slightly more stable than T&G, but I suspect it's a case of selling more of one style than another. Unless you plan to fit gutter behind it tends to get very wet and soggy behind a shed that runs rain off the back against the fence.

Good point! I think I`ll go for the cheaper one and add something to deflect rain water away from the doors.
Perfect, Cheers mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back