Advice on stripping acrylic paint from rubble wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had a good read through the forum but can't find quite what I'm after so I'm hoping someone could give me the benefit of their experience.

The bathroom in my house is in a converted coal cellar. The walls are the original very uneven finish, made of a kind of rubble/cement/large stones mixture. They have been painted numerous times (by the previous occupant) with what I am guessing is waterproof ?acrylic? paint. Due to the room being slightly damp the water pressure behind the paint has caused it to bubble and peel.

I have had a damp expert in who suggests either sealing the walls then erecting false plaster board walls inside them (something I don't want to do as I like the rough stone look) or stripping the walls and repainting with ordinary emulsion to keep it breathable. Personally I like the emulsion idea.

Now to the crux of the problem. I can't get the existing paint off the wall. nitromors softens the paint but due to the uneven surface it's not possible to then scrape the softened paint off. I have been trying with a wire brush but this isn't really working. Can anyone suggest a solution please?

I've considered burning it off with a blowtorch but wasn't sure if this might produce some pretty toxic fumes?

Sponsored Links
I think that given the surface the only option open to you is grit/shot blasting.

You'l need a pro firm in though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back