advice on switch wiring please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm currently redecorating my BTL flat in-between tentants and have noticed the light switch serving the bathroom light is wired thus:

as you can see there are two reds going into the switch, the black wire is capped off in a plastic cap and the bare wire (earth?) appears to be going from one conduit to the other. I've owned the flat for 5-ish years and never had any bother with the light in the bathroom etc, however is this wiring correct? some folk are telling me yes, some no, so prior to getting an electrician out I want to know if I have to highlight this switch or not?

this one however can't be right, can it??

it's a double switch but damned if I know what it serves for sure, if anything!?! all that's connected is the brown cable into the switch and there appears to be an earth but as you can see it ain't connected. this switch is on the other side of the rear entrance to the flat (back lobby) and I can see there 'has' been a light in the back lobby but it's capped off and there's a cable leading outside from the cap on the ceiling, I'm assuming to serve the outdoor security light. regardless, is this safe? I'm 99% sure I need to get this one checked out to put my mind at rest, do you agree?

I've checked other switches and sockets in the property and they're all fine.

Sponsored Links
Top two pictures.

The switch is alright - loop at switch system.

However, the earths should be sleeved with green&yellow and all connected to the back box.
The blacks are Neutrals and are not capped but connected.

Bottom picture.

Can't possibly tell from here.
Have it tested to make sure it is not live.

It is possible that the top switch could be feeding two lights - does it? - if added to the installation but still alright apart from earths.

It's not clear in the first two pictures if those earths are connected together - which they should be - if they are actually connected to earth.

The metal box should be earthed too.

In the last picture, it looks like VIR or similar. The wire not connected LOOKS like the insulation has crumbled away. It LOOKS like there should be a one gang one way switch here, instead of a two gang.

However, this may not be case, as there is a bit of green and yellow there. This may be a bit of tape used to repair the insulation. Or it may be indicating an earth.

The whole installation needs to be inspected professionally, as these pictures show at least some of it is outdated.

Sponsored Links
What did the folk who said "no" say was wrong with the bathroom switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back