Advice on the fitting of unvented cylinders please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys,
my Dads currently having a fair bit of work done to his house and as the plumber has added a new shower he says that the current tank is not sufficient and the showers are not mixing properly.

At present there is a cold water tank in the loft, feeding a cylinder on the 2nd floor that feeds hot water for the bathrooms etc

There is now a new shower, and although the cold water (off mains of course!) sprays out at good pressure, the hot water is now pathetic, hence why the apparent need for an unvented cylinder....?

Joinery is more my thing and plumbing I know very little about so I need some advice please.

The unvented cylinder was discussed as 'maybe needed' before the project started...the plumber's standard of work is ok but he has required quite a lot of guidance and seems to be more used to working under direction from a boss rather than solo.

Anyway, my Dads ordered the cylinder the guy told him was needed

primo iti 300 litre :eek:

The house is BIG however and has 3 bathrooms upstairs and my Dad didnt want to get an undersized one as this plumber seems to think of things like that only after its been bought...

like 'ohhhh, we could have done with a bigger one maybe'!!!

My question - What certificate is needed to fit an unvented cylinder?

He says he's done a course in them and his business partner (who is definately Corgi registered) will be doing it with him and will sign the guarantee off (he fills me with a lot more confidence).

I dont want any risk of someone getting burned or worse if he fits it incorrectly... he said that there is an overflow on the cylinder so this cant happen?

Is that right?

Guidance needed please!! I want to be aware of all the risks before this work is commenced!!!

Sponsored Links
G3 is the qualification required and its notifiable work.

read here

and here

Thanks guys.

Does G3 have some kind of certificate or website like Corgi does to look up registered people?

Also, you say this work is notifiable?

Notify whom exactly :?: :LOL: (Im guessing you mean local authority?)

I cant see anything saying that in the link above?

thanks for the input

Sponsored Links
local borough council apparently.
G3 site google it i dont know, will have a card ask for it.
your wellcome :)

Primo 300 is a good cylinder (apart from no markings on the temp stat and dubious earth bonding).

Most houses would not need more than 300 litres of HW storage.

You would be better off making sure the water main is up to the job of running your appliances, it has been done to death in other threads, but is the No1 issue when converted to a mains fed system.

Primo 300 is a good cylinder (apart from no markings on the temp stat and dubious earth bonding).

Most houses would not need more than 300 litres of HW storage.

If it is ordered and can be cancelled, then I would go for an ACV 230 litre tank-in-tank. The quick re-heat means it does not need 300 litres to cope with three bathrooms.

Every cylinder I have fitted went through BC witha set of drawings showing various safety components and a fee.

My advise would be get it done properly as saying you are registered is one thing doing it properly is another. A lot os cylinders I have seen have been installed by fitters turning a blind eye to G3 regs. You will be living with a cylinder that can kill you, so do not take the builers word for it- ask him to go through building control and furnish you with a set plans.

If your house is size you say it is, you may want to consider secondary return and solar panel.

Every cylinder I have fitted went through BC witha set of drawings showing various safety components and a fee.

My advise would be get it done properly as saying you are registered is one thing doing it properly is another. A lot os cylinders I have seen have been installed by fitters turning a blind eye to G3 regs. You will be living with a cylinder that can kill you, so do not take the builers word for it- ask him to go through building control and furnish you with a set plans.

If your house is size you say it is, you may want to consider secondary return and solar panel.

If the man is G3 certified then no need for BC as self certification. If he went for a heat bank thermal store then there is no need for BC or G3 and it will not kill you. The DHW results are invariably better as the cold mains water only runs through a plate heat exchanger that can take up to 10 bar. You can add plate heat exchangers if extending the house which is a great advantage.

I agree with the solar panels and secondary return loop. Thermal stores are better when using solar panels.

If the man is G3 certified then no need for BC as self certification. If he went for a heat bank thermal store then there is no need for BC or G3 and it will not kill you.

Even if he is G3 Certified the cylinder installation STILL has to be notified to BC, most conveniently through CORGI.

My first G3 course said that the intention to fit an unvented HAD to be advised in advance to BC.

My second, recent, G3 course did not specifically say that, although as far as I am aware, the regulations have not changed although the practice of advising BC in advance is never done anymore by anyone apart from DP.

Tony

The curent status is as follows.........

"By undertaking training in Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems, you no longer need to contact your local Building Control Officer to approve your work. You will be recognised as being competent to design, install, service and maintain Unvented Systems and can therefore self-certify your work."

Taken directly from BPEC website :

http://www.bpec.org.uk/certification/page.asp?PageID=90&SID=&Refresh=9/8/2006+5:14:34+PM

BigBurner wrote;

If the man is G3 certified then no need for BC as self certification. If he went for a heat bank thermal store then there is no need for BC or G3 and it will not kill you. The DHW results are invariably better as the cold mains water only runs through a plate heat exchanger that can take up to 10 bar. You can add plate heat exchangers if extending the house which is a great advantage.

I agree with the solar panels and secondary return loop. Thermal stores are better when using solar panels.

Crikey this sounds familiar. I think we have an imposter in our midst. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bigburner, where exactly, would you connect secondary return on a heat store fitted with P2P HE

The curent status is as follows.........

"By undertaking training in Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems, you no longer need to contact your local Building Control Officer to approve your work. You will be recognised as being competent to design, install, service and maintain Unvented Systems and can therefore self-certify your work."

Taken directly from BPEC website :

http://www.bpec.org.uk/certification/page.asp?PageID=90&SID=&Refresh=9/8/2006+5:14:34+PM[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is how I understood it. If you contact your BCO you can do it yourself and they charge to inspect. I think that is the case. I know some people who selfbuild their homes have the BCO sign off unvented cylinders they have fitted themselves. The BCO can sign it off id he thinks you are competent enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back