Plumber says I can have unvented @ 13lpm ?

Bernard the combination cylinder is
  • a cold tank and hot water cylinder all in one;
  • The hot section can be used only for baths making it cheap to run;
  • It is all in one unit, slightly bigger than an unvented cylinder;
  • the showers never run out of hot water;
  • combis are cheap;
  • Gives a tankless loft, or have the lot in the loft and clear in the house;
  • See above;
It is simple, no more complex than fitting an unvented cylinder, but gives excellent results.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If there is poor mains flow then the choice of which combi is restricted to those combi boilers that are happy with poor mains flow.

A very very simple solution is

A simple system boiler
A cylinder with second coil at top for heating water from mains to the shower
A cold water cistern a couple of feet above the cylinder to replace water drawn from the cylinder for sinks, basins, baths etc etc .

Most plumbers no longer do simple

EDIT More accurate :- Most plumbers on this forum no longer do simple
For what you are doing, you may as use a thermal store.

Last edited:
Have you just out of bed again!

Busy day in the office sorting out invoices before a long deserved holiday.

In fact, just noticed I need to go to the shops and get some veg for din dins. Need something to go with my Cajun style marinated chicken. Might conjure up some Spanish style potatoes and a simple salad dressing made with some incredibly nice (and expensive) Balsamic vinegar.

Hate the last few days before hols - no point getting too much in the fridge. A bottle of plonk might be nice too.

Where does time go?

Certainly can't waste it reading your drivel about thermal stores and Bernies contraption he can't stop banging on about (Bernie, if it was that good an idea it would have caught on by now ;) ).

Where was I? Oh yeah - dinner. Yes, salad and Spanish style roast new potatoes. SWMBO has been cultivating some Rosemary in the garden that will go nicely with those. Now I just need to find where the daft mare has hidden the Balsamic.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Need something to go with my Cajun style marinated chicken. Might conjour up some spanish style potatoes and a simple salad dressing made with some incredibly nice (and expensive Balsamic vinegar.
Fantastic! Try using a nosebag as well. And nice bottle of Rioja white to wash it all down with.

Last edited:
ok, update time.

Unvented cylinder is in and working !!.

He fitted a Jet Range 210 litre indirect cylinder. I understand these are actually made by the same folks that do Megaflow and I've checked the specs they appear very similar (25yr guarantee, internal pressure vessel etc etc).

Despite having a 13lpm flow into the house via 15mm this thing flies and we are very pleased. Had a shower in our new mixer for the first time last night and the flow was excellent - buckets of water raining down on you.

And the price ? - install of new unvented cylinder, taking out old hot water cylinder and loft tank - £1200 all in.

No pics - I'm at work.

It does have a pressure release valve, a tundish and an immersion heater - all installed into existing 3 way port setup.

Well I can see you want to rip people off by charging them for unnecessary services. Sickening.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back