Please help me understand my problem and what I can do about it!!

Our boiler is currently on ground floor cylinder on first floor. We were planning to put the unvented cylinder in the loft as part of the work.

I wonder if the new 22mm pipe to te cylinder would do the job to improve the flow?

It blows my mind how much of this stuff seems like educated guess work but then again I can't get my head round pressure flow dynamic open etc!

So dan for clarity-

1 X 180l unvented with new 22mm copper to it?

Leave boiler as is until blows up and replace it then.

Add accumulator if flow and pressure isn't enough.

Would the 12l/min worry you for that configuration? (Assuming it was right) or would you have faith the 22mm copper would sort?

You're a legend by the way mate. People like me must frustrate the tits off you but you've been sound!

Sponsored Links
Time yourself filling a 2 Ltr bottle and work out the flow rate from the cold main that way. More accurate than a cup in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
As I understood it that's what I need to make an unvented worthwhile?

That's my ignorant bastard version of understanding of course Bob but I read it somewhere!!

How about a powerful combi that can be range rated? I'd have thought the cheapest option.

"Cheapest" rarely means "Best"
Totally agree. Just saying you could run a 34kw combi for your hot water and range rate the heating to maybe 15kw. Only offering an option. Cdi classics allegedly condense in hot water mode and can be range rated.

How about a powerful combi that can be range rated? I'd have thought the cheapest option.

Totally agree. Just saying you could run a 34kw combi for your hot water and range rate the heating to maybe 15kw. Only offering an option. Cdi classics allegedly condense in hot water mode and can be range rated.
See these are the options we have 34 kW boiler (although with only 12l at taps we were worried about poor flow for shower or unvented as discussed above

That's 12l/min open, with 1bar it went to 10.5 ish so we assumed 13 or 14l from the boiler was pointless as its not there to be heated!

Cdi classics allegedly condense in hot water mode and can be range rated.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't, either way you'd be fitting a Wooshitter Botch which isn't generally advisable... most modern boilers can be range rated, but we're getting off topic now as a combi isn't the answer here

That's 12l/min open, with 1bar it went to 10.5 ish so we assumed 13 or 14l from the boiler was pointless as its not there to be heated!
Careful with manufacturers stated flow rates. Check what the temp rise is at the stated flow rate. It'll be lower at 40 degree C rise.

Careful with manufacturers stated flow rates. Check what the temp rise is at the stated flow rate. It'll be lower at 40 degree C rise.
Makes no difference as this is OFF TOPIC - we've already established that he needs an unvented cylinder. Stop banging on about combis

Cheers muggles. So what to do about this 12l/min?

I guess the only way is to get the unvented, run the new 22mm copper to it and see what it spits out? Then look at accumulators and the like if I'm not happy??

Is there any other option for me really?

Makes no difference as this is OFF TOPIC - we've already established that he needs an unvented cylinder. Stop banging on about combis
Chill Winston. Just replying to Phil's comment above and Dan's about disparity between heating and hot water output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back