advice on tying into an existing soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am new to this forum. Looking for advice on the easiest way to tie into an existing soil stack. The stack is in plastic with the couplings in OSMA as put in when the house was built.
I am fitting a new shower room immediately adjacent to our bathroom.through a stud work (actually condensed straw) wall. The soil stack is literally about 50 cm from the wall so distance is not a problem. The stack couplings have been exposed, and as you look at it, you have the inlet from the existing toilet in the bathroom coming in from the right, above this appears to be a separate straight couplin that the basin waste goes into. The bath waste is vented via pipe set under the floorboards into yet ab=nother couplin set below the toilet vent pipe. What appears to be a retaining plastic ring appears to have been used rather than just the normal rubber seal.
I need to fit facility for an additional toilet vent coming in on the opposite side of the stack from the existing toilet vent. I went to my local plumbers merchant and they suggeted a coupling with the 92 degree side vents one each side.
This is to replace the existing side coupling, however the replacement is not OSMA make.
Having looked at it, to reach as far as i really need to, it may well involve stripping out the existing basin and toilet in the bathroom to get to the stack, and then just replace all the existing couplings.
This is a hell of a lot of work and I was wondering if there is an easier permanent way - foir instance the clamp coupling where you cut a hole and seal an adaptor to the side. Question Is this a permanent seal, and would the bands fit adequately around the stack coupoling with the soil vent coming from the other side.

i have photos that would explain this much better if there is a way of adding them

Thanks

Robin
Any help/observations would be great.

Sponsored Links
hi do you mean you are trying to fit another toilet to the exsisting soil stack??? in the room to the right if so you will need to fit a double outlet junction with 1 side for the toilets each side its only 4" soil stack and most soil stack are fitted with rubber rings so they nearly all follow
with a bit of grease and a lot of pushing the only thin you will find dificult is getting the old junction off without disturbing the drain joint downstairs its all depends how old the house is as to whether its connected into a salt glased type drain or hepsleave or under ground plastic drainage so i would check it first alternitvly there are soil stack rubber in line straight connectors with large jubilee clips on which are approved for all sorts of soil stack alteration you will have to cut through the 4" pipe with an hacksaw or a type of band saw thats availabe nowdays you just pull it from side to side around the pipe and it cuts through it i wish they were available in the early days of plumbing

the walls are called strammit all boss pipes can be fitted to soil pipe using a hole cutter and the correct glue i allways used the type with a nut and bolt at the rear to clamp it on then wipe the glue round to seal forever you dont want leaks there

Hi there. thanks for the prompt reply. Yes it is a second toilet wash basin and shower outlet going in to the existing stack.
The house was built in late 60's early 70's. When I was doing an extension I came across the buried soil pipes. They were all plastic, so I suppose I can assume that there is no salt glazed fittings in the system.

The current stack runs from below first floor level where the current bath waste is tied in, up to floor level where the current toilet and basin fit in. The existing fittings were described by my builders merchants when I showed them a photo as a 'Christmas tree'.

The main problem is access with quite a bit of the junction below ground level. As you say, my main worry is in trying to get the old parts off it may pull connectors out below,. I have used the clamp on connectors once before and that worked well, but that was where access was easy.

For the four inch strap on side connectors, I have only seen those with a single central band that clamps on to a staright soil pipe,. Here it would have to be tying into the opposite side of the existing single side outlet. Can you get the parts to do that?

If so I would prefer that way, but am beginning to think that the only way to manage to get this tied in is to strip out and remove the floor in the existing bathroom and replace the entire junction assembly.

Interesting about the band saw tool. I'll look into that and see what kind of access you need to use it. In my case access is very restrticted with not much more room than to get a hand in.

I have done lots of diy including a self build extension, but thats always easier from scratch as opposed to retro fitting, and with something like this, you don't want to cut open and either get stuck or get things wrong.

It would be easier if I could post a photo of the existing stack, but I vcan't see a way to do this at the moment.

Regards

Robin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back