advice on upstirs windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im having an extension done and am approching the window fitting stage. My builder keeps going on about egress and the like (need minimum sized opening to escape etc). What is exactly the requirements - Ive seen lots of new builds with windows which no one could fit through? Also whats this about needing a FENSA certificate? All advice would be greatly received!!

Sponsored Links
Have a look back through the archive posts; both of these topics have been covered before, the FENSA one only recently!

FENSA applies to replacements only, not new builds.

oilman said:
FENSA applies to replacements only, not new builds.
Interesting, is an extension classed as a new build then? What about new window openings cut into an existing property? I had 3 done, BC checked the lintels/openings/cavity closers etc. but they were all FENSA registered by the window company who also did the building work!

Sponsored Links
If you are having new lumps added to a property, BC are involved anyway, so FENSA are irrelevant as BC can pass it. If you don't involve BC for new openings in an existing property, I thought you would have a problem, as it's structural, and I don't know that FENSA does that bit.

Thanks for the replies, the reason why i ask is that a few years ago i replaced 2 of the existing windows myself and was told this was naughty as i didnt inform building regs and obviously didnt get a certificate. So as my building inspector is making site visits can i install the windows myself and get him to pass them? The firm i got my windows from did them for a very good price!

ipjodan said:
Thanks for the replies, the reason why i ask is that a few years ago i replaced 2 of the existing windows myself and was told this was naughty as i didnt inform building regs and obviously didnt get a certificate. So as my building inspector is making site visits can i install the windows myself and get him to pass them? The firm i got my windows from did them for a very good price!

Yes, as long as the windows conform to current standards but you should get BC to inspect the openings (lintel, cavity closers etc) before the windows are fitted & you will have to pay a fee!

You should be aware that it is a Building Control Certificate that you require not necessarily a FENSA Certificate. These can be obtained from the Local Authority or you can self certify your work through three different sources as there are two additional companies which hold the relevant licences. These companies are BSI or Certass Limited.

Hope this is helpful
:D

You should be aware that it is a Building Control Certificate that you require not necessarily a FENSA Certificate. These can be obtained from the Local Authority or you can self certify your work through three different sources as there are two additional companies which hold the relevant licences. These companies are BSI or Certass Limited.

Hope this is helpful
:D
Look at that date again; it's October 2006! :rolleyes:

Jim05, just an observation, you have made 3 posts to date, all your replies say pretty much the same thing and are a complete waste of time as you have replied to posts that are months / years old

may i suggest you read the forum rules, and lets pretend you didnt make these 3 posts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back