FENSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer advice on the following.

We had new windows fitted 2001, the FENSA regs. came in April 2002.

We are planning to have a downstairs living room extension which will mean us moving the existing window into new position. The builder said we will need to purchase a brand new window as we will be in breach of FENSA. I have looked at the FENSA regs. and they only seem to refer to completely new windows fitted after 2002 and no mention of moving existing windows.

If the builder correct?.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thought I would try here first in case someone already new and to avoid wasting phone call next week.

Oh well suppose will have to call them if no one knows here......

Sponsored Links
Of course I am not worried and will certainly call them.

I just noticed that a previous poster asked for advice regarding FENSA and they had very helpful advice.

Obviously this was not the place for me to ask for this particular advice.

The regulations are not FENSA regulations, it is building regulations which define the requirements. FENSA are merely the parasitic organisation who run the scam to allow people topay them money and pretend they are "Professionals" after having sat a minimum competence assessment which nobody ever fails. You could sit the assessment, pass, then install your own windows providing you pay up to register your business with FENSA. Alternatively you can include the window in the drawings for the modifications which are submitted to building control. They will tell you if it complies or not, and they will sign it off when they sign off the rest.

Speak to building control.

Firstly FENSA does not apply to this situation (they purely deal with replacement windows installed into existing openings).

As you are having an extension built and are looking to reuse the existing window in the extension - you need to speak to your local authority building control as they will be inspecting and approving this - the only way i can see this being acceptable is if the glazing is K glass (probably not if before 2002) but you could retain the frame and replace the glazing. Depending on the design of your extension you may need it to be an escape window and have trickle vents and possibly fire rated. You can check with the designer of your plans if any of this is needed.

It is not worth contacting FENSA at all as your windows were installed before they even existed and they have no control on your extension - dont waste your 10p.

I would guess that the likelyhood of your builder being wrong is low - but you dont know if you dont ask

Many thanks for all your advice and will do as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back