Advice on Victorian Terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place but I'm in the process of buying a victorian end-terraced which looks different to your typical victorian terraces. As part of that I'm trying to work out the construction of the walls as it doesn't look like double layer bricks. Does anyone have any suggestions on the construction and how warm it's likely to be? Is it just single layer as it appears?

Thanks!
Screenshot-2022-03-14-at-18-33-48.png

Sponsored Links
you mean how freezing it's likely to be:LOL:
the starting point is assume its cold to very cold unless loads and loads off action taken to insulate and stop draughts

Exactly what I mean...it's all double glazed, has central heating, UVPC doors etc. I don't know if anything else has ever been done

you can almost guarantee if you go for a visit it will be swelteringly hot and a smell off fresh coffee or baking if they are trying to sell a cold house
mind and ask iff its difficult to heat and what the enery uses are

Sponsored Links
ask iff its difficult to heat and what the enery uses are
And if you want a more realistic answer...
....ask the neighbour! ;)

Looks nice from the outside :)
Maybe some repointing needed on top right hand side, below soffit?

Thanks! That's actually a really good idea...especially given the house is empty at the moment...although was surprisingly warm when looking (heating certainly wasn't on!)

Ask around the area not just the direct neighbour (although getting to know a future neighbour is a good move too)

Measure from the outside of the wall to the plaster inside and allow for the thickness of the plaster, if it's 11 inches or so it will be an early example of a cavity wall.

Blup

Last edited:
Its a cavity wall - you will have two skins of bricks, and probably a very narrow cavity.
There's no reason to believe that it will be cooler or warmer than any similar house - excepting you are a gable property?
If you post a pic showing the elevation at ground level it might help?

Measure from the outside of the wall to the plaster inside and allow for the thickness of the plaster, if it's 11 inches or so it will be an early example of a cavity wall.

Blup
my 1907 mid terrace has cavity walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back