Advice on what power combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to install a new combi into my small three bed semi. One bathroom two kids and so the washer is on most of the time. In addition to this we have a thermostatic shower unit which we use in preference to baths. Have priced up three combis : 24w 30w and 35w obviously with differing flow rates. Any views which unit will be up to the job? The property is new build so consequently small rooms and double glazed throughout.

Sponsored Links
Whats your flow rate of water? No point fitting a combi capable of heating 15ltr per min and only feed it with 10 lpm.

i'd go the 30w, the washer won't use hot water, it will more than handle the heating and give 12 ltres per min, which is well good for a shower, a 35 will give 13 litres but still only do one tap at a time, so is it worth the extra £150, ? not in my opinion,

Sponsored Links
thanks for that will check our flow rate at the house and then make my decision.

Check your flow rate and pressure then you have myriad of combination boilers to choose from a 24 kw is too measly for proper shower in my opinion and usaully reserved for landlord boilers

A 28KW is the bare minimum and then you have to decide wether you want bog standard combi or storage type unit some which can quite easily do 18 litres pm ,again all dependent on flow rate

As has been said check your flow rate, then pick the combi that can easily heat that amount of water i.e you have 12L/min, choose a boiler that will heat 15L/min, if you only have 10L/minthen a boiler that will heat 12L/min will do, this is to ensure that in winter when the cold water inlet temperature is way down low, the boiler will still supply good HW.

My water main delivers 14L/min, so I fitted a 35Kw Combi which can heat 16L/min, even in winter I have good Temperature and flow, without wasting energy. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back