Shower mixer with combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a house which has a new combi boiler. There is also an electric shower fitted, not the type with a pump, just a white box on the wall. The shower unit doesn't work, and I always thought that they were incompatable with combi boilers anyway. So, since we have good pressure, I wanted to fit the simplest type of mixer, thermostatically controlled. Is there such a thing as a combined tap and thermostatic mixer?
I have seen the seperate units which are fitted above the taps, but I would prefer to limit the damage to the existing tyles. If I must use a seperate mixer, do I simply connect to hot and cold under the bath, and chase in the pipework to the new unit?

Sponsored Links
Make sure you take the cold from the mains and (obviously) the hot from the combi.
Buy a thermostatic mixer like THIS

You'll need to buy the hose etc separately :D

Better still drill thro to neigbours and connect into their pipes, the running costs are amazingly low.

KEEP THE ELECTRIC SHOWER or at least replace it with another.
If or should I say when eventually you get a prob with your combi you will be very glad you did.
If you dont heed this post it will come back to haunt you and may be at the start of a bank holiday which could leave you without hot water for best part of if not more than a week!

Sponsored Links
I must admit Chris's suggestions would be a lot easier to fit. :D

Make sure the cold is mains fed and not tank fed tho. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back