Advice on window frame construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a room re-plastered in a house I am renovating for rental. The plaster is old and has been taken back to brick.

The exposed brickwork now shows an unusual arrangement around the window. To my untrained eye, it looks like a previous owner has attempted to reduce the size of the frame by adding a layer of bricks to the sides of the frame and a piece of timber horizontally underneath the lintel.

Before I start removing it and replacing it, am I correct in assuming this provides no support? Any suggestions? Pictures are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
Presumably, you originally had double hung sash frames: the brick infill at the reveals is merely filler, likewise the horizontal timber below the lintel.

Best have 4 hands when removing the side bricks - and then the timber filler piece.
The lintel should be examined for decay at both bearing ends.
Do you have an outer lintel or a brick arch?

Presumably, you originally had double hung sash frames: the brick infill at the reveals is merely filler, likewise the horizontal timber below the lintel.

Best have 4 hands when removing the side bricks - and then the timber filler piece.
The lintel should be examined for decay at both bearing ends.
Do you have an outer lintel or a brick arch?

Hi, yes. Other houses in the street have double sash Windows. There is an outer lintel (i had in replaced with a steel angle due to decay.

If the side bricks and timber filler piece are not required, would a timber frame be a suitable replacement?

Sponsored Links
You had the wood outer lintel replaced with an angel iron lintel?

Presumably the nibs of brickwork that the original frame was fixed behind are still in place - if so you can easily locate a timber framed window in the original sheltered position behind the nibs.
Note how any other retro-fits have been done in the street.

If you have any kind of cavity then photo it & come back here.

Edit 06/07/2016 @ 22:16
Its just occurred to me that the "timber frame" you referred to above is just that: a timber frame for surrounding the PVC frame - not a timber window frame?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back