Advice on wiring an intermediate light switch where the live/switched live go to the intermediate switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wiring diagrams I can find all show the live/switched live from the light fitting entering the switching circuit at one of the 2-way switches, e.g. here and here.

In my case, I've added a 3rd switch to control one of my lights, but due to the location of the light and the switches, it is such that the live/switched live from the light fitting enter into the backbox of the intermediate switch.

Can anyone please advise on how to wire up the switches in this situation?

Sponsored Links
Tbh I’m not sure it’s possible

Where are you getting the neutral from ?

There are switched that only need three wires, and seen one only needing two wires, but these are electronic switches, not mechanical.

And with electronics you don't need any wires. I did fit a smart switch to dinning room when temporary used as bedroom, and used a magnetic backed button on bed to turn lights on/off, however found voice control better so used the push button elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
So to clarify, I can use the L1 and L2 in the intermediate switch?
L1s OR L2s in this diagram:

1706115472290.png

So at long last, the intermediate switch arrived in the post, and I have spent a long time this afternoon unsuccessfully trying to wire it up.

I attach 3 pictures of the 3 switches in question. There's a downstairs 2-way switch at the bottom of the stairs, an intermediate switch at the top of the stairs (this used to be a 2-way switch and is where the 2 core and earth cable from the light fitting appears) and there is a new 2-way switch upstairs at the other end of the landing.

In the depicted configuration, when both of the 2-way switches are in the off correction: "on" position, the lights are on and the intermediate switch does nothing (the lights don't even flicker off when you carefully place the switch half-way between on and off).

I note that the MK intermediate switch I am using has the L1s and L2s in a different configuration. When the switch is in the "off" position, the terminals are connected vertically and when in the "on" position, they connect diagonally opposite top-to-bottom.

What more can I do to troubleshoot?

Attachments

• intermediate.jpg
    intermediate.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 36
  • upstairs 2-way (new).jpg
    upstairs 2-way (new).jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 38
  • downstairs 2-way.jpg
    downstairs 2-way.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Where are the cores linked at the intermediate that do not connect to the switch ?

I should add, I did spend some continuity testing all of the red cores in the 3-core cable between the intermediate switch and the downstairs switch. I placed either 1, 2 or 3 brown sleeves at the end of each core so that I can tell which is which. I will repeat my continuity tests, however, to double check I've got it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back