Advice on Wiring Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

I'm in the middle of having an extension built and am now setting about the kitchen refit. I am going to get an electrician in, but am project-managing the job myself.

I am having a multi-oven range with LPG hob put in, and have started removing units to accomodate it, and have found the following:

The wall itself is about 10ft across, and the oven is going to be approximately 4ft wide, to sit on the middle of that wall. The fridge freezer will go, and the worktops on each side will extend to the back wall.

In terms of the sockets etc. that you can see, the double socket that the kettle is plugged into is going to move a couple of feet to the left. The wire that comes out of the bottom of that is a spur that the existing single oven is plugged into, though it will be used for a dishwasher in future.

The gaffer tape covers an open box that does have wires going to it. I have not checked if they are live or not yet. The gaffer tape is my emergency addition.

The switch on the wall is going to be removed, and I don't actually need anything that it feeds to be switched from there any more (it is a couple of two-way lighting circuits as that was the old back door, but I am going to make them one-way)

Questions I have at the moment, just to get things clear in my own mind before I start talking to people are:

Is it acceptable for the cooker isolation switch to go to the right of the blocked-up door ?

To move the double-plug to the left, can they do a horizontal cable from the existing one, or does it need a new vertical drop ?

I want a cooker hood too. Is it acceptable to have a high-level plug socket (above the hood) for that to plug into, or does it need some sort of hard-wiring and isolator ?

Sponsored Links
I am going to get an electrician in
Bear in mind it's what she thinks which counts - she has to be responsible for design decisions.

Is it acceptable for the cooker isolation switch to go to the right of the blocked-up door ?
Yes.

To move the double-plug to the left, can they do a horizontal cable from the existing one, or does it need a new vertical drop ?
No and yes. [wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

I want a cooker hood too. Is it acceptable to have a high-level plug socket (above the hood) for that to plug into,
Electrically yes. Aesthetically? Looks pants, IMO. Why spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar?

Have a flex outlet behind the "chimney" trim of the hood, and an isolator somewhere. e.g. next to the oven and/or hob one. Or use the same one as the hob. Bear in mind the rules for concealed cables, and that if a wiring accessory like the flex outlet is to be hidden it can't really be said to still create a cable zone. If your electrician says the flex outlet can't be behind the chimney for that reason, ask her to use steel conduit.

The photo shows what I mean - you can see where the hole through the wall for the exhaust duct is to be, the box is for the outlet plate where the flex for the hood will connect.

Attachments

• hood conduit.JPG
    hood conduit.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 125

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back