ADVICE PLEASE - flooring guy disappeared with £1500

I ask my clients for 50% of goods on placing my order with the supplier and then balance is payable prior to delivery. That way, once the goods are on site, they’re theirs regardless of whether or not they’re fitted to the wall. And labour is charged afterwards.

If it’s fixed price, then I agree milestones with the client and leave a percentage until the job is finished so that they can pay that on completion. But I still separate out large supply items like kitchens and bathrooms.

As for the original question, if the guy took money and didn’t supply the goods he’s acted illegally. You report it to both the police and the Trading Standards and you hassle them until they follow it up. Depending on how much information you have on him, I'd be tempted to make a call to the Inland Revenue. It might not help you, but it might cause them to investigate the person.

You paid by BACS so this should enable various authorities to trace them.

Sponsored Links
The fact is, if a tradesman supplies something, eg. a boiler, then as soon as it is screwed to the wall, it becomes the property of the home-owner. Whether paid for or not.
Where did you get that idea from?

this has been the case for many people who think they can go back and take the boiler off the wall if its not paid for, they get done for theft, its the (stupid) law

If someone enters into a contract to purchase goods and then does not pay for them, it is Theft and possibly Fraud. There is also the crime of "obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception".

It's neither theft or fraud, it's a breach of contract.

If there was always an intention not to pay, it would be theft or fraud. IMO.

but they wont admit that will they, they arent paying as they arent happy with the price you are now demanding or the quality of the job, thats why its a contract dispute rather than theft and why the boiler cant be taken back

i like the idea of setting him up, via another job at a mates, if he is a fraudster he wont be able to help himself con another idiot, but please be careful with this plan, might be better to get him to quote for another job then stall paying for it, then follow the guy home, next day turn up at 6pm asking for your money, he wont be impressed you know where he lives and may give you cash back, please make sure there is no violence or threats to him ( i cant believe im actually saying this :D ) but it really wont help the situation, and whatever happens with his excuses etc, if you whack him you get done 100%
however once you know where he lives he may be less likely to bump you, and a threat of violence might not do any harm,but remember he knows where you live and you dont know who you are messing with, threaten him with posting messages asking for other people who have been bumped to get in touch with you (there will be others) and you will supply his address to them, that might work

Sponsored Links
I have never taken a deposit for goods, I always supply all labour and materials and then i charge the full price on completion ie then and there the day i finnish i dont leave without payment, i am fully prepared to rip my goods of the wall then and there and i will tell the customer that if they say i will pay later... the goods are mine until paid for

materials are paid for on delivery,thats common buisness sense,and fair,labour charged after fitting the gear.

why have the hassle of getting your stuff back if costomer dont payup

yeah but why risk a lengthy court process, its all well and good not taking a deposit and then not getting paid for months, it messes with a lot of future jobs - try having a problem over 10500, as the person went bankrupt.... takes 6 months to crawl back from a hit like that!

Small Claims Court or Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards.

Sponsored Links
Back