Advice please for a rejected Prior Notification of Householder Extension

Thanks for the reply just had a reply from the council they me to do the following:

At present, the side wall of the extension will project from and adjoin to the existing garage which is deemed to be a side elevation. Moving forward, the side wall of the extension will have to be set away from the side wall of the garage by 0.5 metres. If at any point the two reach, the extension will become a side and rear extension with a width greater than half of the width of the dwellinghouse which will continuously fail under the prior notification scheme.

Similarly to the above, the height of the extension would need to be reduced to allow a 0.5 metre separation between the roof of the extension and the bay window that serves the first floor rear elevation of the property. This is because bay windows are deemed to contain side walls so if the extension projects off the bay window (i.e. the extension crashes into the bay window) we will be left with the same situation as above.
The 0.5m gap they require is utter bull$hit.
There are appeal cases where a gap of 25mm is deemed OK; as long as there is no physical connection between the side and rear eaxtensions, they will have to accept the prior notification.

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: SMH

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...der_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf

General issues p6

"Dwellinghouse" definition, and in context of other terms throughout the document.

ie there is no reference to garages being part of a dwelling house, but there are references to garages in other contexts. Which means that if garages were meant to be regarded as part of a dweilling house, then they would have been defined as such.

Unless there are appeal precedents to the contrary, then a garage is not part of the dwelling house, but is a distinct building within the curtilage.
If it is attached to the house, it will be classed as an extension - nothing to do with classification of a dwellinghouse.

:rolleyes: SMH

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...der_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf

General issues p6

"Dwellinghouse" definition, and in context of other terms throughout the document.

ie there is no reference to garages being part of a dwelling house, but there are references to garages in other contexts. Which means that if garages were meant to be regarded as part of a dweilling house, then they would have been defined as such.

Unless there are appeal precedents to the contrary, then a garage is not part of the dwelling house, but is a distinct building within the curtilage.
WTF? Good luck with that! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If it is attached to the house, it will be classed as an extension - nothing to do with classification of a dwellinghouse.

How can the existing garage be classed as an extension?

The issue is building past the "side elevation of the existing dwelling house".

I'm not sure what you mean by the extension?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean by the extension?

OK, 'extension' is the vernacular for 'enlargement' as it is referred to in the GPDO.
But I still can't fathom why you think an extension forming a garage is a curtilage building; curtilage buildings are supposed to be detached, free-standing structures.

The 0.5m gap they require is utter bull$hit.
There are appeal cases where a gap of 25mm is deemed OK; as long as there is no physical connection between the side and rear eaxtensions, they will have to accept the prior notification.

So should i just keep a gap of 25mm and reapply?

So should i just keep a gap of 25mm and reapply?
Yes, that''s what I'd do, and if they send it back again, you should do the following;
1. ask them what statute or regulation requires a gap of 0.5m; (there are appeal cases where gaps of 5cm and 2.5cm have been accepted as
being separate structures - they are just trying it on) and;
2. remind them that the 42-day clock is ticking, and that if they reject it again, you will ignore that, and start
building after 42 days, because by then it would be permitted development by default.

I'd hesitate to use the word 'architect', he wants shooting really, it's the only humane thing to do. It needs to show all the info I said it needed to in my earlier post.

2. remind them that the 42-day clock is ticking, and that if they reject it again, you will ignore that, and start
building after 42 days, because by then it would be permitted development by default.

wow you are too good :)

do i just buy the block plan online or does the architect need to draw it. thanks in advance.

Don't do either.
You don't need a 'proper block plan' for a PN application - a simple, freehand sketch will do; it doesn't even have to be to scale. Draw it on graph paper if you don't have a steady hand.
The whole object of the PN proceedure was that the householder could do the application himself, without having to pay professionals and other hangers-on.

OK, 'extension' is the vernacular for 'enlargement' as it is referred to in the GPDO.
But I still can't fathom why you think an extension forming a garage is a curtilage building; curtilage buildings are supposed to be detached, free-standing structures.

Look, is perfectly simple. The OP is not building a garage. He's building an extension on the back of his house

The planners say that the OP's rear extension is not PD because it is (in their view) actually a side extension because it projects forward of an existing wall (the garage wall) forming a side elevation of the dwelling house.

In fact, the garage wall is not (according to the technical guide) part of the dwelling house. Therefore the proposed extension can not be projecting forward of a side elevation of the dwelling house (it's solely a rear extension) and so must be PD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back