Advice please for a rejected Prior Notification of Householder Extension

The dispute here seems to turn on whether "the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse" includes a garage. I've just been trawling through Planning Jungle, and there seem to be only three appeal cases dealing with this issue. One was a cantilevered canopy; one was a plastic roof supported on timber posts; one was a plastic roof supported partly off a wall (presumably these were carports or covered yards).
In ALL cases, it was determined that the structures were an enlargement of the dwelling house, so one would presume that a garage, being a closed structure, would be even more likely to be considered an enlargement.

Woody....?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
hi

i have amended the plans please review so i can submit to council.

i have made a space of 25mm between back extension and garage wall.

Attachments

• Back Plan.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 263
This is a wind up surely? You're just going to leave the wall hanging? You weren't intending to connect it to anything?

If you are the guy whose name appears on these drawings under the description of "Senior Professional Structural Eng" you need to stop before you do some serious damage. Otherwise get yourself a new designer.

lol i am the client not the "Senior Professional Structural Eng"

This is a wind up surely? You're just going to leave the wall hanging? You weren't intending to connect it to anything?

yes i was advised on this forum to leave 25mm gap rather than 0.5meter the council asking.

Sponsored Links

If you are the guy whose name appears on these drawings under the description of "Senior Professional Structural Eng" you need to stop before you do some serious damage. Otherwise get yourself a new designer.
I think the OP has done a DIY hash job, so maybe ease down on the crit, the new wall will obviously be connected to the existing one so just needs extending a little, nevertheless the block plan, now included should show the existing house and proposed extension clearly.

Oh dear, so your designer has done this hash up not you, fecks sack, he's a right ****, the new wall is attached with just a thread as per the image but as previously mentioned you hardly need any of these drawings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170704-194022.png
    Screenshot_20170704-194022.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 231
hi

i have amended the plans please review so i can submit to council.

i have made a space of 25mm between back extension and garage wall.
A little word of caution if I may; looking at sheet 2, if the kitchen is a post-1948 extension to the house (it looks as though it is), then the further extension of that would not be allowed under the prior notification scheme. This is because the PN scheme is not retrospective, and the whole extension (ie pre-existing extension + proposed extension) would be regarded as one. Therefore under the rules, you would be regarded as having already started the extension, so the PN procedure would not apply.

I assumed the existing kitchen was not an extension? But as tony surmises if it is then you can't use the PN scheme.

A little word of caution if I may; looking at sheet 2, if the kitchen is a post-1948 extension to the house (it looks as though it is), then the further extension of that would not be allowed under the prior notification scheme. This is because the PN scheme is not retrospective, and the whole extension (ie pre-existing extension + proposed extension) would be regarded as one. Therefore under the rules, you would be regarded as having already started the extension, so the PN procedure would not apply.

looks like i am back to square one. As yes the 3 meter is already there when i bought the house and the seller had to buy indemnity insurance for it. I was told and can see the 3 meter extension is old about 10 years and never had any planning.

do you think i should just apply with full planning if so will they accept it?

anyone who can help advise me what i should do.
1) Apply for planning with back extension same as before drawing with full planning.

Or

2) Apply for planning with back and double side extension under full planning.

Applyfor as much as you like as long as it is in accordance with your local planning policies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back