Advice please - gap between where the wall meets the floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Haven't tiled for a while (just a diy'er) and I can't remember what sort of gap size you'd reccomend where the floor meets the wall? Also some suggest grouting the join and a clear silicone over the grout where others suggest a caulk. Whats best for these joints given potential movement?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What's on the floor?
If wall tiles down to tiled floor then low modulus silicone, if down to wooden floor then tiniest of gaps and don't seal

Not a tiler, (DIY'er like yourself), but when I've come to this section, I have always left about a 6mm gap and, depending on where the tiling is, I use silicone in wet/damp areas and caulking in dry areas so it can be painted if needed.

(I've assumed the tiles overhang the floor covering rather than the floor covering butting up to wall tiles)

Sponsored Links
So yeah the room is tiled from floor to ceiling so Im thinking caulk/silicone between the joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back