Advice please! Lighting circuit problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a weird problem in our house (1970 built)which hit us recently.
The Lighting circuit fuse blew one morning, when no lights (absolutely no lights were on). We know this for sure, because when the fuse blew, we heard it blow in the Consumer Unit, and we knew that at the time, no lights were on in the whole house. We did nothing for a couple of hours, because we had to go out. We replaced the fuse when we got back that day. Everything worked fine, for the whole day and evening, with all lights able to be turned on, left on, and turned off. We went to bed, having turned all the lights off. In the morning, the fuse had blown again. We are a reasonable able couple (though elderly)and knowledgeable in the use of a multi-meter. We have since opened up every ceiling rose and every light switch in the house. We have identified, and isolated one cable, the one which runs from the kitchen to the bathroom, which has a fault in it, in that its Neutral wire is shorted to the Earth wire. The Live wire in that cable is not shorted to Earth. All the other cables in the lighting circuit in the house are fine, i.e. no shorting to Earth. We disconnected the bad cable from the lighting circuit, and put the fuse back in, thinking that at least some lights would work, depending upon the route of the Radial Circuit. But, to our surprise, none of the lights in the house worked at all. The Consumer Unit is in the kitchen.

We have for now left the fuse out of the Lighting circuit. We are making do with no ceiling lights until we understand what is wrong.

We have three questions:
(1) Would a Neutral shorted to Earth blow the fuse, even when no lights are on?
(2) Why don't the lights on the section from the Consumer Unit to where we have broken the Radial Circuit work, when we replaced the fuse? Are we right to expect at least one light to work, if we have only broken the Circuit between two lights, i.e. we have not broken the circuit between the consumer unit and the first light?
(3) We intend to buy a new cable to replace the bad cable. (We have found a way to obsoleting the bad cable, and replacing the link between the kitchen and bathroom via a different route.) Are we doing the right thing, or is there something else we have not understood, or some other problem in the wiring circuits or the Consumer Unit we have not thought of?
Answers to our three questions and helpful advice will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The N-E fault wouldn't have blown the fuse. It might have tripped an RCD if fitted though.

Are there any wires from the ceiling roses unaccounted for? Ie. you dont know where they go? It would be a good idea to trace all wires and know where they go, and work out which ceiling rose is first on the circuit.

Replacing that bad cable will be a start. You seem to be familiar with the workings of a loop-in circuit, so I dont see working out the wiring being a major problem for you.

However, the fault that keeps blowing the fuse could be within a cable somewhere. An electrician could tell you which wire is at fault. A neutral-earth fault could just as easily be a live-earth fault, and you've found one, there could be more. :(

Sponsored Links
You say the lights in the rest of the house have now gone off.

The cable with the N-E fault my be the problem, and may have a short which doesn't show when tested with the low voltage output of a multi meter, but you may have just temporarily removed the fault in disconnecting the rmaining lights.

I would try replacing the cable as it nas the N-E fault which needs sorting anyway, and see if this cures it.

Let us know if this does it.

crafty1289 said:
Indeed rodents do like nibbling PVC cables.

And squirrels!

I found one with it's jaws clamped firmly round a 1mm cable in a loft...

Stone cold dead it was....

Pity I didn't have my digi....

I did a post-squirrel rewire in my apprentice days.

Not a single bit of insulation left on any of the lighting cables in the loft :eek:

Saved stripping the scrap though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back