Advice please, on Barrier Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi Advice please, on Barrier Pipe.

I need to run 22mm plastic pipe to a new shower valve, basin and bath.

The boiler is a combi Alpha CB28 - the old bath had a shower connection and the shower worked ok.

I've now ripped out the bath and need to connect the old pipework to new pipework for new bathroom, which is 12 metres away.
I've never used barrier pipe before. The floor is concrete.

The 12 metre run (X 2 Hot/Cold), has a lot of twists and turns.

MY QUESTIONS

1) Will 22mm pipe be flexible enough to be clipped to the wall, and follow the 90 degree bends around the walls?

The pipework will all be boxed in, so it doesn't matter if the pipe sticks out a bit on the corners.
If I can't do this, then I'm looking at 20 elbows.

2)What is the best pipe/fittings to go for - which will cause less possible leaks?

I like the look of JG Speedfit because you can remove the pipe from fittings with ease,
but should I be going for the grey stuff, Polyplumb (Wickes) - I see that the fittings are a lot
cheaper, is that because you can't get the pipe back out once it's in?

3)With a combi boiler in mind - can I use PEX or PB pipe - or should it just be one in particular?

4)What is the best fitting to use with copper pipe. I don't fancy having plastic going to the basin,
or the shower valve, I want to come of plastic into 15mm copper.
Would it be Speedfit or Polyplumb?

Many thanks in advance.
Stephen

Sponsored Links
Will 22mm pipe be flexible enough to be clipped to the wall, and follow the 90 degree bends
around the walls?

You don't need 22, 15 will be fine.

What is the best pipe/fittings to go for - which will cause less possible leaks?

I use polyplumb whenever I use plastic. More important is to use it as intended.

With a combi boiler in mind - can I use PEX or PB pipe - or should it just be one in particular?

Normal barrier pipe that says "suitable for mains water and xxx degrees temperature.

What is the best fitting to use with copper pipe.

Soldered endfeed.

1) Will 22mm pipe be flexible enough to be clipped to the wall, and follow the 90 degree bends around the walls?

The pipework will all be boxed in, so it doesn't matter if the pipe sticks out a bit on the corners.
If I can't do this, then I'm looking at 20 elbows.

Probably not - this PDF document has some information on the minimum required bend radius for a given size of pipe. I find it hard to believe you can't find a route that involves less corners - like chasing the floor, or drilling holes through the walls rather than piping round them, or going into the loft.

2)What is the best pipe/fittings to go for - which will cause less possible leaks?

I like the look of JG Speedfit because you can remove the pipe from fittings with ease,
but should I be going for the grey stuff, Polyplumb (Wickes) - I see that the fittings are a lot
cheaper, is that because you can't get the pipe back out once it's in?

I've not used the Wickes stuff, but unless it's the rebranded product of a respectable manufacturer, I'd rather spend a little more on reliable pipe and fittings. Whether that be JG, Hepworth, etc is your choice.

Other answers as per above post!

Thanks bengasman and electronicsuk.

Good idea about the loft, that would save a few turns, but this bathroom is on the ground floor,
covered in asbestos tiles, which I'm reluctant to break into.

I've already got the BAL adhesive which apparently will adhere to the asbestos floor tiles
(layed around 1976) for the new ceramic tiles.

Elbows it will have to be.

Sponsored Links
Just my own quaint way, but I like to use brass compression fittings with plastic barrier pipe (correct inserts, naturally)......I just feel that I can squeeze them up just a little bit more.
Not as bulky, either.
John :)

bengasman

when you say that I can use 15mm - does that mean for the bath as well?

The old bath which had a shower attached had 22mm running to it.

I was going to run 22mm from old fitting, right round to bath, teeing off
at shower valve and basin in 15mm.

Will 15mm give me enough feed for shower valve and bath
(not on together of course)?

Thanks.

As far as I can see you can use non barrier pipe for hot and cold.

My advice is to insulate the hot.

Tony

There's no point using 22mm pipe anywhere with a combi boiler as the hot only comes off in 15mm anyway, using 22mm will just increase the amount of time it takes for the water at the taps to get up to temperature, and will waste gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back