Advice Please on my next step

Sponsored Links
If he listed on the website I linked, he is registered with a scheme provider and that scheme provider will a complaints procedure you can follow. If you feel aggrieved by the methods, standards or quality of performed by this person, I suggest you contact his scheme provider.
I don't like to sounds harsh, but you have performed illegal electrical work in/on your property and very likely have not been able to prove what you have done is safe, just because it works and has worked over a period of time with not apparent issues, does not make it safe. I understand your problem now with the sale of the property and your ability to employ a competent electrician to dig you out of the hole you have put yourself in! But sympathetic, I am not. You should have original followed the correct procedures, then you would not be in this situation!

Sponsored Links
prenticeboyofderry,

I'm not after your sympathy, I was after advice which you have given me thanks. As to whether adding wall lights and a couple of spurs over 20 years ago was illegal I'm not sure and judging by the mixed replies from professionals on here I'm not entirely convinced they do either. The only illegal thing I did was replace a consumer unit that had the case damaged by accident. The old one was unscrewed from the wall and a new up to date at the time one was put in its place using the same wires but with an improved earth bond. If the circuits connected to it were faulty they were already faulty and I hasten to add they were all part of a kitchen extension with wiring I have never altered or touched. From what I've read on here it seems common practice for electricians to pull main fuses, break seals and interfere with the supply rather than go through the power supply company, I assume because the correct procedure takes longer and may interfere with the profitability of the job.

Now I would have thought that all electricians in the uk would be taught to the same regs and I find it fairly difficult to believe that if you are asked to replace a consumer unit in a 100 plus year old house, that by the owners admission has had non approved work carried out. that it would be standard and correct practice to carry out a full safety check first.

I don't want to end up in a mud slinging match with you, so I'm gonna leave the thread here. If I can't sell my house I will have a word with the electrician and consider reporting him. I will get another happy electrician in to re-wire the place, finish the rest of the renovations and then sell it for a fair price so it's win win.

The only illegal thing I did was replace a consumer unit that had the case damaged by accident.
Not quite.

The only 'illegal' things were not telling the Local Building Control and

complying with this.

upload_2016-9-15_10-42-22.png

As has been mentioned, or alluded to, above. I really do not understand the sense of youpaying out money for the place to be 'rewired' if you are selling it.
You will be specifying your choice of what fittings etc goes where, when the new owner will have completely different needs and requirements.

(My same thoughts go for the change of consumer unit, but it looks a bit late for that now).

I would put it on the market as is and then, if the electrical installation is challenged by some surveyor, you can be ever so generous and dock a couple of grand off. That will leave you with a couple of grand in your hand.
Don't forget the hassle of rewiring - you'd need to clear the house out and afterwards you'll have the cost of making good all of the plaster/walls/ceilings/floors throughout the house. Then redecorate.......

Leave it alone.

prenticeboyofderry,
I'm not after your sympathy,
Good! As I have worked hard all my life, earned qualification, many with distinctions and have gathered a lot of experience in the domestic sector to boot!
I often come across situation similar to yours, where the homeowner or a mate he/she knows done the local, have decided upon themselves to undertake such tasks as installing extra sockets, lights and even fuse boards, when they have little, if any knowledge of what test procedures are required. Never mind what result to expect!
I often find that conductors are loose in busbars, breakers and often the live busbar is not sat right in the supply side of the breaker.
Cables are joined with under-rated connectors, also IP ratings of the entries of cables in to the new board do not comply, leaving dangerous situations. Plus many other strange and weird thing!

I was after advice which you have given me thanks.
yes and the advice given is what I would personally do
As to whether adding wall lights and a couple of spurs over 20 years ago was illegal I'm not sure
Maybe not illegal pre 2004 but that does not mean they are safe to be used!
judging by the mixed replies from professionals on here I'm not entirely convinced they do either. The only illegal thing I did was replace a consumer unit that had the case damaged by accident.
Nevertheless the procedure you took was illegal and very possibly unsafe
The old one was unscrewed from the wall and a new up to date at the time one was put in its place using the same wires but with an improved earth bond. If the circuits connected to it were faulty they were already faulty
Oh dear me, that is not very safe attitude to have, especially you are now complaining that electrician you employed, did not perform those test prior to changing the new unit.
I hasten to add they were all part of a kitchen extension with wiring I have never altered or touched.
Make not one iota of difference.
From what I've read on here it seems common practice for electricians to pull main fuses, break seals and interfere with the supply rather than go through the power supply company
They are very naughty then!
I assume because the correct procedure takes longer and may interfere with the profitability of the job.
That would be a very fair assumption!
Now I would have thought that all electricians in the uk would be taught to the same regs and I find it fairly difficult to believe that if you are asked to replace a consumer unit in a 100 plus year old house, that by the owners admission has had non approved work carried out. that it would be standard and correct practice to carry out a full safety check first.
A full report on the condition of the existing installation, prior to installing a new board. Yes that would be ideal and something I would personal do. But there are some that will not, even homeowners do not care if they are fitting new boards to potentially dangerous installations.
I don't want to end up in a mud slinging match with you
Nor I, I just want you to be aware of the implications you have brought onto yourself. You have been more honest than most and respect you for that, even though you have been foolish in your actions.
so I'm gonna leave the thread here.
I would not ask you to leave on my account, I am only giving you an opinion of mine and hopefully some sound advice. You are welcome to ignore it and ignore me if you so wish.
If I can't sell my house
I have no doubt you will, it is very likely to be a deal changer, you may just find that the potential purchaser will want to cut a deal.
I will have a word with the electrician and consider reporting him.
Do that and tell us how things go, i would be interested what his scheme provider does about instances like these.
I will get another happy electrician in to re-wire the place, finish the rest of the renovations and then sell it for a fair price so it's win win.
Just sell it as it is, do not go to the added finance and hassle, it will not be worth it.
Good luck my friend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back