Advice please Re: garage floor/construction joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage floor to do approx 6m x6m. I've read (nhbc technical guidelines) that reinforced floor slabs > 16m2 should have a construction joint. Also, as i have to do it myself i would much prefer to do it in 2 sections anyway to make the job more manageable. The trouble is that i am having difficulty knowing which type of construction joint to apply and the best method for doing so. Advice please.

Sponsored Links
1. Dont do it alone - get at least one helper. Concrete is unforgiving.

2. You could probably do it in one pour if you use wire mesh sheets over a membrane.

3. While the slab is green you could cut a masonry blade slot at a suitable depth and position. This will be your construction joint. Others might prefer a more by the book method.

4. The above is good as far as it goes, but you provided very little site information for us to work with.

Ok slight mistake with original post - it should read 'unreinforced' floors > 16m2 should have a construction joint. Also when I say alone I mean the good lady and I will be doing the levelling (Freudian slip there :wink). We have already done the storage floor area (6x2m) ourselves with a length of timber. If I split the main garage floor into two sections it will be 6x3 so not too much bigger. The plan was to do one side (6 inch concrete over dpm over 2 inch blinding sand & 6 inch compacted hardcore) then approx a week later do the other, leaving a small gap to be filled with flexible filler. I cannot get a builder at the mo' and I don't want to be sat on my backside while the little one is off school as I will be minding him the next couple of weeks. Also, I do not feel that I would like to tackle the entire area in one pour, reinforced or not.

There is a difference between a construction joint, movement joint and expansion/contraction joint

For a construction joint (merely a joint between two slabs poured at different times) then just shutter the slab at 3m width pour that half, and then pour the other half

Sponsored Links
Having read some blurb online I am still not sure what type of joint is applicable in this case? If it is as you say then does the second pour butt up to the first pour with no space/filler at all in between the two slabs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back