Advice Please Re. Laminate Flooring in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am completely re-fitting out our bathroom, and part of the refit entails laying laminate flooring. The flooring that has been selected is "floormaster TileLoc" from B&Q. The flooring is 8mm thick, suitable for 'Splash Areas', and carries a 12 year Warranty.

I have done quite a lot of DIY over the years, and would consider myself a reasonably competant practical sort of chap. But when it comes to laying laminate flooring, I am a complete novice! I have read many of the posts on this forum, and it is obvious that a gap has to be left around the edge of the flooring to allow for expansion and contraction caused by temperature variances.

I was planning to lay the flooring prior to fitting the WC, Wash basin and bath, BUT if I screw the WC pan and the basin pedestal through the laminate to the floor, this will prevent the laminate from 'sliding' slightly on the floor when it expands!

Alternatively I could fit the WC and basin first (directly to the wooden floor), but then I would have to scribe the laminate to the basin pedestal and the WC pan. If I do this, would a bead of silicone give enough movement to allow for the expansion of the laminate?

Would greatly appreciate any advice, tips etc. from you experts that have done (and overcome any problems) with such a job.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt usually recommend laminate for bathrooms, just because of getting water into the joints of wood can cause problems. but if your going ahead..

as long as you acclimatise the laminate before the fit, your not going to get much movement with the floor, most bathrooms are small areas, smaller the floor, less chance of movement. We usually seal around the WC with a sealant, because the bathroom is already fitted. but I would fit the wc and basin on top is you have the option, looks alot neater and like i say your not really going to get much movement if you acclimatise and leave an expansion gap. Hope this helps

If you are worried about the screws for the toilet, why not just drill a larger hole than required for the screws, just through the laminate? Should allow for a little movement if it does occur, however the sealent around the base of the toilet will probably require replacing quite often

Thanks for your replies teilo and andy.

The bathroom is 3.6m x 2.4m, and the WC and basin are opposite each other, each being roughly in the centre of the opposite facing long walls. If I fix both the WC and the basin through the laminate, would this be asking for problems?

Also, is it a good idea / advisable to put a small bead of PVA adhesive in the groove of the "TileLok"laminate panels before joining them together, just to make sure that they are "Splash proof" ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The bathroom is 3.6m x 2.4m, and the WC and basin are opposite each other, each being roughly in the centre of the opposite facing long walls. If I fix both the WC and the basin through the laminate, would this be asking for problems?

That shouldn't be a problem.

Also, is it a good idea / advisable to put a small bead of PVA adhesive in the groove of the "TileLok"laminate panels before joining them together, just to make sure that they are "Splash proof" ?

You can, but it would ooze through here and there and you would have to clean it off the surface quickly. I've laid this for a few people in bathrooms and it survives water spillage reasonably well as long as there are not pools of it and it's mopped up quickly. I'd mop up any water quickly. As the guys said above, as long as you acclimatise it, you should not have any problems.

Thanks fender - appreciate your reply. It seems that if I use some common sense, and think things through logically, then (hopefully) there should not be too many problems.

Thanks & regards,
Dave

No problem....

Just don't do what many do and try to get away with acclimatising it for a day or two, I'd give it a week.

Good luck.

why not fit vinyl? Water tight and not damaged by water, Looks far better and more real, no expansion needed and best of all normally cheaper!

P.s the room is left normal when removed! With laminate you will have short fitting sink, toilet , bath panel , archives ect

There is a major re-think on this project at the moment. We are now considering tiling the floor (yes - PROPER tiles), as this may be the best solution.
Thanks for all your advice - it is much appreciated.

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back