Advice Please - Tiles falling off in the shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A few weeks ago, i noticed that the wall in my daughters room had a damp patch in the bottom corner. Behind that wall is the shower tray.
On inspecting the shower tray, i noticed that quite a few of the tiles were loose.
I pulled off the sealant and tiles just fell off.
So, i've taken off 2 rows of tiles on the one side, and attempted to take off a row of tiles on the wall with the shower head - only to find that the tiles were sitting on plasterboard, which was a little damp at the bottom.
Long story short - this is what i'm left with - see pictures below.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

need some advice on 2 things:
What should i do with the solid wall?
* Do i just leave it to dry out - then apply BAL SBR, then fix new tiles to it,
OR
* Do I scrape off the plaster, reapply mortar, then BAL SBR then tile?

That leads me onto the other side - what do i do with this hole? ( I dont really want to rip off the whole wall). Do i fix some battens to the wall and screw in some aquapanel? If so, how do i "join" the old plasterboard to the new aquapanel?

Am i a bit confused.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
There are a few signs that indicate the original installation to have been a DIY or amateurish job.

Remove any proud adhesive from the wall and clean up the tray rim.

Cut the plaster board across to the corner and expose the studs.
Clean up the tray rim.
Screw on a panel of 12mm backer board - it will match the p/board.

Use powdered adhesive and grout - dont use pre-mixed in tubs.
No sbr needed.

Many thanks for your help!

Why do you say not to use premixed adhesive/grout?
I bought some unibond non-slip tile adhesive.

Why do you say not to use premixed adhesive/grout?
Premxed products set by drying out. This may take days, weeks or months depending on how quickly the moisture can escape from the product.
Powdered types set by chemical reaction and are not affected by moisture. Set time can be as little as 20 minutes.

Unibomb products are generally only sold to DIY disaster people.

Sponsored Links
Recently did a similar repair to a shower, they stuck the tiles to Fiberboard, yes that’s right I said Fiberboard, it was epic, it was about as bad as it gets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back