Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Ariston boiler in conjunction with a cylinder. I have had trouble with it for approx 6 weeks. I called out Ariston and they advised me that the system needed flushing. I contacted a local heating company and they spent 6 hours on a Saturday doing this. They also alledge they serviced the boiler.
All was ok for 1 week- then it failed again- I called them back out yesterday and they spent 2 hours checking it over. They now say the pump is defective and the cylinder is scaled up?. My question is should they have noticed this on their first visit and should I take them to the courts for a full refund?
I payed £395.00 on the first visit and refused payment yesterday.

Sponsored Links
After Ariston's visit, did you ask the heating company to flush your system or fix the problem. The system flushing would probably be a beneficial exercise in a system as old as yours, so you have got something for your money, though it would take me more than 6 hours and that's without servicing the boiler. In a nutshell you have had work done which should probably be paid for.

The pump problem may be something seperate from the original problem, or it may be the original problem. It doesn't change the fact that your system has been cleaned.

The cylinder needing descaling is not likely to be easily diagnosed, unless there is some other indication.

You haven't said what the original symptoms were.

I suggest you get someone else to look at it with the current symptoms, and don't say anything about the cleaning, then you will have something to compare.

The original problem was due to the boiler being noisy and cutting out.
They charged me for 6 hours labour and flushing chemicals. I do not want to spend any more money on the boiler as I believe the heating company to be liable for poor workmanship and causing my pump to fail.
They have refused to come back to repair my boiler as I refused to pay them for their time yesterday. I just feel I have been ripped off and if the boiler was serviced these faults should have been seen then not a week later.

I presume the powerflush was to attempt to reduce the noise and that a water sample was taken first to prove it was required in which case I don't see you have much come back and the price was ok to include all chemicals and VAT....it would have been pointless putting a new pump on to a system full of sludge it would have killed it.....I guess they were hoping your pump would run a bit better when the water was clean.

It is often better to get an independant in to diagnose system problems....boiler makers are loathe to admit their unit is at fault.

Difficult to say flush killed your pump, normally the pump is removed to carry out the flush

Sponsored Links
What sort of warranty do you guys offer when you flush a system?
Why didn't the flush remove the scale?
Is it possible to tamper with a pump in order for it to fail at a later date?
Can anyone recommend a good heating company in London that will inspect my system for free please? Maybe invoice the heating company because I do not feel I should pay out any more money.

What sort of warranty do you guys offer when you flush a system?

Absolutely none at all. The reason systems need flushing is neglect or poor maintenance, and you can't make silk purses from sow's ears.

Why didn't the flush remove the scale?

The chemicals are used on the primary water side, the scaling referred to is, I presume) on the outside (tap water) side of the coil. But this has nothing to do with the boiler making a noise.

Is it possible to tamper with a pump in order for it to fail at a later date?

Wouldn't think it's worth the effort. Sounds a bit paranoid.

Can anyone recommend a good heating company in London that will inspect my system for free please?

Why should they? They are running a business not a charity. However, Pimlico Plumbers are amongst the best, if not THE best.

Maybe invoice the heating company because I do not feel I should pay out any more money.

Your dispute with the heating company has nothing to do with anyone else. To resolve your dispute you should be using the courts.

I can get boilers to stop making a noise, but it's not easy, and it's not usually achieved immediately after flushing. Anything can be done but it costs time and hence money. Problem with domestic heating systems is people run them on a shoestring (through lack of advice I agree) and want someone else to pay to fix it.

why do people come on just to gain ammo to throw at the working man

totally agree with the last post .

go to the courts and stop whinging

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back