Advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing my conservatory at the moment and want to check the electrics is ok or is there a better way to do this.

At present I have a 16 amp radial circuit supplying 5 sockets in the conservatory. from the last socket a 2.5 cable goes into the garage to a consumer unit which then supplys 2 garage sockets, and 5 in the shed as well as lighting on a 5 amp fuse.

There is not likely to be any more that 2 sockets being used at any one time so the draw on power will be negligible.

A friend has suggested turning this into a ring main by linking the lot and then putting a 32 amp breaker on.

What are your thoughts please. :D

Sponsored Links
Unless you are going to be plugging loads of heaters in then I can't see a problem (even though the current set up is a p1$$ poor design)

Altering the circuit characteristics would be notifiable anyway and require proper testing etc

You certainly cannot have the feed to the garage consumer unit on the ring, which is what it sounds like you'll end up with if you follow your mates suggestion!

I'd be tempted to split off the feed to the garage DB onto its own 20A and then leave the conservatory as a radial.

Bear part P in mind whatever you do.

If you do as your friend suggested then you would end up with all of the circuit loading on one half of the ring final, it's not ideal as it and in a perfect world the garage and shed would be on an independant circuit. As it stands, assuming the circuit has been constructed properly and test results prove satisfactory then I dont see any real cause for concern.

Sponsored Links
DB is Distribution Board (more a commercial term) or Consumer Unit or Fuse Board/Box.

He meant supply the garage and shed with a separate cable from the house CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back